MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 11-14-2017, 04:05 AM
Banned

First Attempt at metal removal making a knife

Hello,

I was looking at knives used by Indians for centuries and came across one called Ulu, made by Inuit Indians. It looked interesting and i decided to make a version of one. I think i bit off more than i could chew. LOL Anyway hear it is. Blade is about 3.5 inches wide and 4.5 inches from top to bottom. Blade is about 1/8 inch thick and has a one sided bevel. Handle is Maple with copper wire for pins and a simple food grade butcher block oil for a finish, to make it food prep safe. I am glad i only had one bevel to contend with as it almost kicked my butt. But with many hours of hand work managed to get it sharp. Not scary sharp but sharp enough that it cuts and chops vegies well. Will work some more on the edge. I welcome all comments good or bad as i am new at this hobby. As a newbi (only one year at the hobby) and only 70 years young as of yesterday I need to start learning.

For more details: 2d animation

Tags
art, bevel, blade, block, edge, finish, handle, hobby, interesting, knife, knives, made, make, making, maple, metal, pins, sharp, simple, ulu