MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 01-14-2017, 04:42 PM

Exclamation Glass platen for 1?30

Hey guys, so I am going to try putting a fire glass platen on my HF 1 ?30
Anyone done this before?
I have a perfect size price of fire glass I got for phubar meant for knife make.
My issue is how to put it on there sturdy. I have some loctitie 5 min 3200 epoxy, or I have some 3m heavy duty double side tape I believe is vhb.
I was told to attach it to a same size price of steel then attach that to the stock platen .? Please help me here with best method?
Don't want to ruin it cause not sure if I can by another HF platen .
Thanks guys!
Ty ripped
Nervana co..
Old 01-15-2017, 07:40 AM

To attach any piece of pyro-glass, you need a hard shelf at the bottom as a mechanical form of security. That way, if the chemical (epoxy) bond is compromised, it stays put.

I held my glass to the platen where I wanted it, and marked two spots to drill and tap for two socket screws like these:

Size is unimportant. Just make sure that the glass is thicker than the heads so the heads don't impact the belt, and be sure they are level across so the glass edge sits against them and is still aligned with the platen.

I then cleaned all my bonding surfaces and used my normal epoxy for the job. Use plenty so it self-levels and be sure to get some on the screw heads and bottom edge of the glass to secure than connection.

I've been running like this for about a decade (give or take a year or two) with zero issues.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."

Tags
bee, belt, blade, chemical, drill, edge, epoxy, fire, how to, knife, make, screws, steel, tap