MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:38 PM

Sodering Guards

I wanted to share a trick that has helped me in avoiding flux etching when using a torch to solder a guard to the blade. I use stainless for guards so this is what I have experience with.
I never could get the hang of a heat gun and this may not be necessary if you use that method. I use stay bright solder and flux and would have an occasional etch on the blade when the calgon heat paste I use to keep the blade cool would lift slightly. I use a black sharpie permanent marker to coat the blade where i do not want any flux to splash. I coat the blade from about 3/16" from the face of the guard. up the blade about an inch.The marker does not seem to want to run when heated to contaminate the joint but make sure you stay far enough away to avoid any problems. Clean with solvent or simply buff off.

Anyway its cheaper than anti-flux and I hope this helps anyone who has had similar problems. Good Luck Rich

Tags
blade, coat, etching, guard, guards, heat, knife, make, solder, stainless