MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:23 PM
Skilled

Cru Forge Knife Steel

I recently purchased some Cru Forge v Knife steel from Alpha Knife Supply (AKS). Although I am very pleased with both their service and their pricing, I would like for their cru forge v steel to be available in some dimension other than 1/4" thickness x 1" width. I am wondering if there are any other suppliers out there who supply this great steel in a better selection of dimensions. When I asked AKS, they responded by saying it was only available in the 1/4 in x 1" dimension. Thanks for any help. Ed.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Hall of Famer

Ed, try dropping Aldo Bruno a line at The New Jersey Steel Baron. He doesn't list it in his inventory but I've read in another post that he can get it. Maybe he can get it in other sizes.

Doug

Old 01-13-2012, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Ed, the saga of CruForge is a rather sad one. Just prior to Crucible going "belly up", they introduced it. At first it was available in 1", 1 1/4" & 1 1/2".......but after they went bankrupt, most of Crucible was purchased by Niagara Steel, who continued to produce and sell most of the former Crucible products....except CruForge.
I was in on the initial testing of the steel with Crucible, and it was very promising.....but unfortunately, I believe the demise of Crucible, was also the demise of CruForge. I was in the middle of "tweaking" that steel, when I got word about Crucible, and when I asked the question if anyone was going to continue producing it, the best I could get was "We don't know"......so everything that's available is "old" stock. It's kind of a catch 22 concerning CruForge's future......words is that if it sells, and there is enough demand, more will be produced, BUT most knifemakers have basically set it aside because they are unsure, if after spending the time and effort "tweaking" it, if they will be able to acquire more.

Personally, I think it has the potential to become the "standard" for forged blades.....but not many are will to invest the time/effort on it, if it won't be readily available in the future.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 02-05-2012, 10:50 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
Ed, more sad news. Aldo was trying to run down the last big billet of the stuff recently because some kitchen knife makers had expressed interest in thin stock. Apparently, Niagra sold that last big lump (probably at a discount) to a manufacturer out west who may be using it to make hoof knives. Seems like a waste using it for glorified toenail clippers for horses. I think it would have been a really good steel for reasonably priced mid-tech and production kinds that typically use a steel like 1095 or O1 because while it cost a bit more than some basic 10xx types, it was MUCH more reasonably priced that Crucible's CPM line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Caffrey View Post
Ed, the saga of CruForge is a rather sad one. Just prior to Crucible going "belly up", they introduced it. At first it was available in 1", 1 1/4" & 1 1/2".......but after they went bankrupt, most of Crucible was purchased by Niagara Steel, who continued to produce and sell most of the former Crucible products....except CruForge.
I was in on the initial testing of the steel with Crucible, and it was very promising.....but unfortunately, I believe the demise of Crucible, was also the demise of CruForge. I was in the middle of "tweaking" that steel, when I got word about Crucible, and when I asked the question if anyone was going to continue producing it, the best I could get was "We don't know"......so everything that's available is "old" stock. It's kind of a catch 22 concerning CruForge's future......words is that if it sells, and there is enough demand, more will be produced, BUT most knifemakers have basically set it aside because they are unsure, if after spending the time and effort "tweaking" it, if they will be able to acquire more.

Personally, I think it has the potential to become the "standard" for forged blades.....but not many are will to invest the time/effort on it, if it won't be readily available in the future.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:54 PM
Registered

Cru V

Hey guys,

I have a load of this steel and I can roll it to some alternative thicknesses and widths. Let me know what sizes you'd like to see. I've also got the standard material listed on my web site.
www.kramerknives.com

Thanks,
Bob

Tags
forge, forged, knife, knives, material, post, steel, supply