MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 01-10-2006, 03:40 PM

Belt Sander

Does anyone have experience with the Grizzly Knife Belt Sander/Buffer? I am looking for a mid-priced tool since I am not anticipating going full time anytime soon...

Old 01-10-2006, 04:25 PM
Guru

Rick,

I have one. Just got my KMG delivered. For just over 2x the cost you can set yourself up with a much better grinder. Don't think of it as going full time, but rather having a tool that will do the job (I do this as stress relief, never actually sold a blade).

If you ever use one of the better grinders, you will quickly realize that the grizzly is lacking. I have fought things, thinking that I needed to figure out what I was doing wrong. When I did get on a couple of other grinders, I realized that it wasn't me, that the grinder wasn't operating the same.

--Carl

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??
Old 01-10-2006, 05:16 PM
Enthusiast

I have one too,now I use it when I'm too lazy to change wheels on the Bader. Depending on how you grind (hollow) watch out hitting the motor housing when you pull to the left. Overall it's not abad machine for the money once you learn to work with it.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:49 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Probably half the knife makers in this country started out with a Grizzly and still have one in their shops, including me. Your question is very possibly the most commonly asked question on these forums. There have been many, many, many discussions on the Grizzly and they cover every conceivable opinion both pro and con. Use the blue Search key at the top of the page to look them up and you'll find everything you could ever want to know about the Grizzly...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 01-10-2006, 10:26 PM
Hall of Famer

Hi,
Im a new maker,.I purchased a less expensive grinder,after getting a chance to use a friends Bader had to have one,ease of use and quality of work improved greatly.Ive seen used Bader B-III's go for $900 on E-bay.With the bader or the KMG you cant go wrong.Also you won't be looking to upgrade in a year.Just advice from someone who has one grinder he uses and one that is seldom used.By the way Pops Knife Supply had the best price on the Bader,I searched the web for 3 weeks befor I bought mine.Anyway I guess what I'm trying to say is buy the best that is within your budget,warning this hobby is very addicting!

Old 01-10-2006, 11:29 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
I have seen so many people on here learn the hard way including myself. To get where you want to be with the least possible learning curve, get the best possible tool. For the beginning knifemaker the cheapest route is to go with KMG. Cheaper in the long run because you will not end up buying twice. You will waste less steel and spend less on headache meds.To buy a grizz with the intention to sell it later and upgrade is to lose money and time. Buy the basic KMG and pullies with either a platen or an 8" contact wheel. either one, with a tool rest. Find a cheap motor on your own. With that base to build on, you can upgrade as money allows like adding a rotory platen and or a small wheel attachment. Even upgrade to a variable speed when one comes up cheap. In short order you can build a machine that will do everthing you need and want it to do. One of the beauties of the KMG is the ability of it to evolve itself to fit your style. All the attachments are geared towards knifemaking so one machine can be many machines. I have never heard of one person regreting going with the KMG. But have heard many a heart break story about the Grizz.

Last edited by hammerdownnow; 01-10-2006 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:54 PM
Guru

Roc makes good points. I tricked out my Grizzly (pyroceram platen, 10" wheel, etc), and have it tracking as well as I can imagine it going. Thought I had it tuned well until I used another (KMG & Wilson), then I started noticing things like although the belt will track, it will also jump on you.

You may need to learn it on your own, but if you go with the KMG, you will move your skills along faster and better.

One thing that is good for me, I will keep using the Grizzly for profiling. I don't hollow grind, but with the 10" wheel I will be able to keep 36-60grit belts on her and profile. Didn't even get a wheel for the KMG.

--Carl

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??
Old 01-11-2006, 12:20 AM

Good belts are just as important if not more so! Let us not miss that point.

When I win the lottery, I'm gonna buy a KMG and have it fully engraved with gold inlay!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 01-11-2006, 02:33 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Dragon cutlery
i just want an all damascus kmg and a shift knob for my car but golds a good idea to

giving you your sharp and pointy fix since 1995
Old 01-11-2006, 03:56 PM

Thank's for all the informative replies. I've been through the "good tools/cheap tools" scenario before and you'd think I'd learn my lesson... At least this time I haven't spent any money yet. I'll continue to look and will probably pass on the Grizzly after reading some of the previous posts. Bonuses come out in a month or two...

Old 01-11-2006, 08:28 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
I have done that so many times Rick, Good stuff is just a little too far out of reach, so I get impatient to start and settle for something I end up not useing. Or useing with a big wrinkle in the middle of my forehead. I think the quality control on the Grizz might be a little helter skelter. It is possble that good ones and bad ones are put out. Probably older ones might be put together with more care.

Practice is the key to grinding at high speed. I would bet it would really be something to watch Ray grind a knife. Johnny Stout can grind a knife at some incredibley short time.(anyone remember the time?) Short time=high speed=pratice, practice and more practice.

Old 01-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Master

Send a message via ICQ to Txcwboy
Well I just got a Grizzly and I like it very well. It IS the best deal for the money below 500,The KMG is nice but its well over a 1000 to get it running so that is 2x the money. If your just learing and dont plan on be a pro then Grizzly will be a s good choice . If you get involved and really like knifemaking you can always sell a few knives and buy the KMG later on but you can outfit an entire shop with the extra 500 saved on the Grizzly. If you upgrade to a KMG later on you can always use the grizzly for handles and such. There are thousand of Grizzly lovers out there .

Dave
Old 01-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Hall of Famer

I have nothing against the grizzly.I'm just a believer in doing things as simple as possible.I purchased my Bader B-111 with 10''wheel and small wheel attachment for $1250 new from Pops.I would say buy the best you can.If you can do it once.thats great.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
Don't forget the Coote.

I think it's a better deal than the Grizzly at $500 and under.

jloose.com

Old 01-12-2006, 07:19 PM
Master

Send a message via ICQ to Txcwboy
Coote looks good but you got to come up with a motor yourself. I ALMOST bought the Coote. I was amazed I came up with the 418 for the Grizzly , I would have to sell everything then pimp myself out for the remaining 1000 just to get a KMG or the likes

Dave

Tags
bee, belt, belt sander, blade, buffer, forge, forging, grinder, knife, knife making, knives, making, motor, sander