MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:55 PM

Counterboring titanium

Hi all,

I apologize in advance if this has already been posted. I am trying to find a good way to effectively counterbore .288 pivot screws into .138 thick titanium handle scales and bolsters on my folder. Before I plunk down the cash for some decent HSS counterbores, I wanted to check with you guys first because I'm leery that the Ti may eat the CB's up. I've read and heard that you can counterbore larger diameter holes in titanium using standard HSS counterbores, going *very slowly,* and using very low RPM's on a drill press or mill. FWIW, I will be using a basic drill press for this task. I just don't want to spend a lot of cash on basic HSS counterbores and end up ruining them and the handles/bolsters if there is a more effective (and accurate) way to do this.

P.S. It's kind of crude, but I have actually counterbored using a standard drill bit. Obviously it's not as accurate because there isn't a pilot and the bit has a tendency to "wander" off center.

P.P.S. Are cobalt drill bits more effective in drilling titanium than say HSS or black oxide bits?

Sorry for the ramblings. Just hoping you guys/gals might be able to give some sage advice on this.

Thanks much,

Michael
Old 10-31-2016, 09:58 PM

Could make a "step drill".
First choice is a carbide counterbore.

Tags
advice, bee, bolsters, drill, folder, handle, handle scales, handles, make, mill, pivot, press, scales, step drill, titanium