MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:24 AM

J.D.Chevalier Bowie Question.

Hi Guys,
Can anyone provide me with with more information about this knife and point me in the direction of more pictures from different angles possibly.

http://www.timlively.com/images/johndchevalierbowie.jpg

I will be having the knife copied by a custom maker and all I know is that the blade is 1/2" thick at the spine.

Any help would be most appreciated.

mrto.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

While it may not be a lot of help and I know of no other images available I can tell you that image is from the book "Peacemakers: Arms and Adventure in the American West" by R. L. Wilson. My copy of the book is on loaner or I'd check it for you - I do know there was a good caption with some info (IIRC it weighs 2.5 lbs?). There should also be a picture credit in the back of the book which may give you the name of the collector/museum and so you may be able to contact them directly then. Hope that helps and the book is a real gen for the cheap price.

Peacemakers: Arms and Adventure in the American West: R.L. Wilson: 9780785818922: Amazon.com: Books Peacemakers: Arms and Adventure in the American West: R.L. Wilson: 9780785818922: Amazon.com: Books

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Burrows View Post
While it may not be a lot of help and I know of no other images available I can tell you that image is from the book "Peacemakers: Arms and Adventure in the American West" by R. L. Wilson. My copy of the book is on loaner or I'd check it for you - I do know there was a good caption with some info (IIRC it weighs 2.5 lbs?). There should also be a picture credit in the back of the book which may give you the name of the collector/museum and so you may be able to contact them directly then. Hope that helps and the book is a real gen for the cheap price.

Peacemakers: Arms and Adventure in the American West: R.L. Wilson: 9780785818922: Amazon.com: Books
Hi Chuck,
Thank you for your help.I have in fact through another forum received the dimensions of the knife all I would like to have now are more pictures, and ideally a profile that could be used as a template.

I have hunted high and low on the net and have found only two pictures,the one I posted a link to showing the 'arrow' side of the handle and another showing the reverse side with cross and anchor.

I am inclined to agree and suspect that there are no others yet out there!The knife resides within a collection,but that avenue of search has revealed nothing,unfortunately.

Regards,
Mark.

Tags
arrow, back, blade, bowie, collector, custom, handle, knife, profile, template