MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry to be slow answering but I lost track - I get so much email anymore that I don't alwasy do the email notification thing...

Anyway - point one USE proper precautions when using this mix - good ventialtion, rubber gloves, goggles, etc are IMO a requirement when using ANY chemical......

point two time - start with 3-5 minutes and repeat if necessary. On most of my stuff I start with a 5 minute soak then I do a cleanup to see how it "worked" If it didn't do much I got to a 7-10 minutes soak do a cleanup, etc. It's IMO better to start slow rather than boogering things up beyond what it should be....I pretty much know what to do now with steels like 1065-1084 and 5160 which etch fairly fast, but even then each piece is different so I go slow and repeat as necessary until I get the look I want.

Here's three blades all 5160 which were done early in my experiments with this etch method - the left blade was a 10 minute etch followed by a 15 minute etch, the middle one was 3-4 minutes, and the one on the right was 8-10 minutes. But again each piece etched differently even when considering the time difference.

Here's a more recent blade of 1065. this was three 5 minute etches. The edge was protected with polyurethane and then VERY lightly etched - look close and you can see the etch line.......

PS - How you apply the Blue will affect the finished look in my experience - put it on streaky and you will more likely get a streaky etch like the blade on the right above

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.

Last edited by Chuck Burrows; 09-08-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Hall of Famer

Thanks Chuck, I'll give it a try!
Old 01-05-2014, 08:47 PM

Knife looks great! How much sanding after heat treating do you do before you applied the blue? Thanks!
Old 01-19-2014, 09:42 PM

Any other directions?

I have tried the blue, bleach, boiling water method several times on O1 steel and have only been able to achieved a nasty looking rusted piece of steel. Any pointers would really be appreciated. thanks!!!
Old 06-24-2014, 09:50 PM

Nice knife! One question...I followed all the steps and got a nice aged look but now my knife is rusting badly. Any suggestions?
Old 06-25-2014, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

yes - to kill the rusting after aging use household ammonia - soak the blade in it for a bit, wash with hot water and soap, followed by either a good oiling or waxing - your preference.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.

Tags
bee, blade, fixed blade, forging, heat, hot, hunting knife, knife, knives, steel