MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 12-30-2005, 12:22 PM
Enthusiast

Little and not so little things @ HF that are of value

Some of my favorites:

- hand files. Dirt cheap. PERFECT hardness , handles included. $1.99

- clamps. 2" opening are my favs for slabs. When I'm doing a batch, having a dozen+ of those comes in real handy. I use 4 clamps per handle,
15min epoxy (will try 5m soon)

- lockable clamps/plyers: at $3.99 these are most excellent for a number of things - clamping blade and/or slabs for drilling, clamping bolsters for
soldering

- long noze/handle plyers - these were MADE for taking your blades out of heat oven

- 6" digital caliper ($16?). The thing is incredible. Very accurate, last forever, jaws are of some NASA secret metal at RC 80 . And I picked
up something like 20 battery pack for $1 at a flea market. Batteries
last about 6 months. It helps that caliper has auto-shutoff

- magnets (in welding section). Look real careful - they have a 100LB-pull rectangular black magnet, something like 4x2x1 - this is just perfect to hold the blade

- wrenches Chrome/vanadium, metric and imperial

- gloves

- the 8" buffer/grinder is incredible value (every now and then goes on
sale for $79, regular $109 ). I used it as foundation for me HMBG (home made belt grinder). Perfect !

Here's a list of not-so-small things that I bought over 3 years or so, @ HF:

- mini mill (now outfitted with 3ax DRO and I converted it to belt drive)
- mini lathe (now it is 7x18, I got bed extension kit from LMS)
- 4x6
- grinder/buffer
- Dual MIG 151
- TIG/stick
- Auto-darkening welding helmet

Each and every one of them is excellent value for the money. Simply can not be beaten . Ever .

Well, the fact the closest store is 70 miles away from me home ... dunno if it is a blessing in disguise ... Any closer and I'd be spending my every weekend there

Craft-what ?

Next on my list: 8 gallon Air Compressor + nailer + paint gun + mini grinder. The thing has got rave reviews on the Web. At 6 SCFM @ 90
psi is has a power to be reckoned with. No Sears 2.4 CFM 3 gallon sissy.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:07 PM
Master

i love HF too. ive bought most the small things on your list and a few of the large...love em all.

a couple other items ive bought...

needle files, diamond needle files, diamond grinding bits/discs, drill bit grab bag(like 30 random "flawed" bits for $5..great for drilling out tangs etc) ziptool. i dont use the ziptool for knifemaking but it comes in handy for other things...i paid $20 for it and its been running fine for like 2yrs. i paid $100 for a craftsmen one and it died within a year.(im a big fan of craftsmen handtools but not their powertools)

the one thing you dont want to get there is the buffing wheel with the little metal insert in the center. ive bought 2 and in each case the insert ate through the wheel making it super wobbly

i always wait for their sales...almost everything i need there goes on sale quite often.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:10 PM

Went to HF, which is right here in Wichita, to buy a five inch angle grinder they had for like $30. When I brought it to the counter, the girl said, "These just went on sale" as she indicated the display behind me. It rang up for $8.99! A stack of cutting wheels to fit it was a couple more dollars and I was outta there! Woooohoooo!

I use it to cut bar stock and trim off all the 'ears' in order to save expensive belts. I also cut blades from saw blades with it. Loud though... like a circular saw!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 12-30-2005, 09:32 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Dragon cutlery
when i started making knives all i could aford was there 10 inch bench grinder i think i hade to replace the switch after 3 years of use and made a hardend work rest and it still works i just dont have room to have it set up any more the belt grinders in the way :-)
i have there bench mill and when the local one was caring them i got welding rod from them as well i cant go in if i have any money i went in for there 6 in one screw ####### 2 for $3 came out with $100 worth of stuff stilll dont remember geting any thing

giving you your sharp and pointy fix since 1995
Old 12-31-2005, 10:22 PM
Steel Addict

I drove down to HF in Ocala (FL) today and feel like I got a bargain. Bought a horizontal/vertical bandsaw, 1"x30" belt grinder with disk, two axis machinists vise and assorted belts and disks for just over $200.00. Unfortunately I hurt my back at work today and can't play with my new toys until I can unload them from my truck.

I got an extra 10% off sale price thanks to a forum coupon.

Guns, Big Knives, Outdoors www.ramanon.com
Old 01-02-2006, 02:21 PM
Enthusiast

Steve - congrats on your purchase.

However, I feel that way too many of us fall for the 1x30 . I also bought it,
$30 , what the heck. But, the things is utterly useless. No power, all plastic.

I say - save some money and get 4x36+disk combo. That thing is a much
better deal.

Something like
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=38123

Old 01-03-2006, 10:35 PM

Talking

I am a Harbor Frieght Junkie. I bought most of my equipment form them via the enternet, When they opened a store in my town (Billings Montana) I couldnt stand striaght up without embarising myself for about a month. I hate the idea of supporting the chinees economy but with their prices and my lack of income ... Well what can I say?
Old 10-18-2013, 03:23 PM
Steel Addict

I agree with you there Rick! It seems like a shame not to get something at those prices compared to my income at the moment! I know there is a lot of junk in their stores, but there are some gems. Like the eight zinc oxide sanding belts 40 grit and 80 I picked up for under $10 with no coupon!

And the 1x30 grinder isn't all bad if you beef it up a little. Plus if it breaks simply return it for a new one. I have a back up 1x30 sitting in the box out there in the shop in case my other breaks, I got it on sale or something that had it for 29.99. Ones just like it elsewhere are near or over $100.

Last edited by Hurley; 10-18-2013 at 03:34 PM.

Tags
blade, grinder, knife, knives