MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:50 AM
Steel Addict

Glove safety

Recently, I was put on a blood thinner called coumadin, A little, nothing type cut becomes a big deal with the bleeding. My doctor told me not to play with pointed, spinning things . Let me define my goals. I am looking for a solution to all the little nicks and abrasions one gets through making knifes. I think I found it. Bigger injuries are treated by a QUICK call to 911.

http://rs.nationalsafetyinc.com/comp...resistance.pdf is a link to an article which pretty much lays out glove saftety. Safety gloves are rated on a scale of 1 thru 5 for abrasion and cut resistance. (there are actually 3 different agencies involved but the standards are the same).

I bought 2 different pairs to evaluate. First was a pair of Ansell HyFlex 11-518. I bought them from Amazon. They were supposed to be level 5 gloves, but in further investigation, they are only level 2. And then I found the RS Hughes Company. I spent a lot of time talking to their "experts" about what would be best for my needs.

Hughes recommended The Jackson G60 glove with true level 5 protection. Here are the main differences:

1. The Jackson gloves have much better wrist protection. The Ansell gloves had just a short section to cover the upper wrist where all the blood vessels are. The Jacksons go much higher and offer much better protection.

2. The weight of the Jackson gloves are much more substantial in construction. The kelvar is heavier along with the nitrile coating

the contact information is http://rshughes.com

I haven't had a chance to test either one of the gloves as I had a cardioversion which took my time away from testing. I totaled my car in between.

I am well aware of the dangers of wearing gloves when working, I've never done it. But, sometimes it is necessary.

More testing to follow.

BTW, I never had a chance to thank the people who responded to my original post. Sorry I took so long and THANK YOU.

OH, and I also ordered kelvar sleeves for arm protection. I am beginning to feel like a knight in armor .
Don't take life too seriously-----you'll never live through it.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:32 AM
Hall of Famer

Good luck if you wear gloves while operating rotating machinery. Especially a belt grinder.

I sincerely hope you don't get your arm twisted off.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:50 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Robinson View Post
Good luck if you wear gloves while operating rotating machinery. Especially a belt grinder.

I sincerely hope you don't get your arm twisted off.
Thanks for your concern Don. I sincerely hope that you never are prescribed coumadin and try to make knives. And, as Gil Hibben would say..."Turn your brain on before you turn on the machine." And Gil also wears gloves when grinding.

I am not advocating the general use of gloves. I am trying to help those people who need it. ...Teddy
Old 06-19-2013, 09:01 AM
Hall of Famer

I've been on Coumadine for at least 15 years. I cut and bruise myself all the time while making knives in my shop.

I've learned to not pay any attention to the bleeding, just wipe it away once in awhile. No harm done. I have scars all over my arms.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:06 AM
Skilled

while I am only 42 I too wear gloves while grinding and cutting with my dremel you see with me having something many folks on here do not know called Lupus it attacks the ability for me to control my hands and grip things properly I have lost a many of a grinder and tools having them run up my hand ,leg,arm,and body . resulting in many cuts in the last year as I have tried to learn just what was going on with my body and why I could not function . so the Tillman and calf skin gloves are defiantly my friends as of late I just take my time and work much slower and put out less work yet a bit more quality when i do so .

Just my two cents on this and my story .
Sam

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !
Old 06-19-2013, 03:14 PM
Skilled

I'm on a permanent dose of Coumadin as well, as my body seems determined to kill me. (I have a genetic condition where I throw blood clots without any rhyme or reason, or if I'm injured.) It sucks, but it's manageable. I get the usual nicks and cuts working around my blades, but a little extra time putting pressure on them, and it's fine. If you're that much in danger of blowing a gusher if cut, you might be on too high a dose. High dosages can cause internal bleeding or strokes.

There are clotting bandages and clotting powders available (Styptic powder being the least of them), to stop the bleeding of almost any cut short of evisceration or amputation, on the market. I keep bandages and stuff like that nearby when I'm working, just in case.

Last edited by Cthulhu; 06-23-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:15 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the advice. Maybe I've been worrying a little too much. But an ounce of prevention.... Teddy
Old 06-23-2013, 10:47 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsmithy View Post
Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the advice. Maybe I've been worrying a little too much. But an ounce of prevention.... Teddy

One last thing, GS. when they started me on the stuff, the docs and nurses made it sound like I was in mortal risk just shaving my face in the infrequent times I did so (I can't really grow facial hair).

After months of being terrified to cut my own meat, I finally found a doctor who clued me in to how the stuff works for me at least. It ain't as bad as they make it out. For me, all it does is bring my clotting factors back to a NORMAL level, not turn me into a hemophiliac. As for everyone else, yeah, you'll leak a little more, but it's really only a concern if you're facing surgery or sudden, large scale trauma, like a car accident.

Tags
911, advice, back, bee, beginning, blades, grinding, knives, made, make, making, post, tools