MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:30 AM
Skilled

The Cart or the Horse

I have been making knives now for about six years. While I don't necessarily feel that I can rightfully be called a "newbie", I am aware that there is still much to learn.

I recently attended the ABS knife show that was held in Troy, Ohio. I also took that opportunity to join the ABS as an associate member.

During the event, it was repeatedly impressed on me just how much emphasis is being plsced upon the ricasso area of the knife. I have included a ricasso on some...but not all of my knives. A ricasso is an area that is not easy to do, and it is also an area that will receive a lot of attention.

I suspect that somewhere in my process, I managed to get the cart before the horse. I have always started each knife by beginning with forging the point. After developing the point, my next step is to develop the ricasso since without the ricasso...it is impossible to define the blade.

My problem is that by developing the ricasso so early in the process, I am subject to damaging it by a mis-struck hammer blow, grinder scratch etc. in the subsequent work. I have tried protecting it with duct tape, but there is just no way to completely "idiot proof" and ensure that there will not be some mis-hap along the way.
My question is: is it necessary to fully develop the ricasso so early in the process, or can that development be put-off until later in the process. I realize that there is more than one way to skin the cat, but I am wondering if perhaps through better sequencing, I could find some improvement.

I also have questions about the relationship between the ricasso plunge lines and the bevel on the blade. Is there a specific relationship to be observed between the two? I am thinking that the plunge lines and the bevel should both be in agreement...but that is just my thinking, and I'm not sure that I'm correct. This leads to the horse and the cart again...should the plunge lines be ground in to match the blade bevel...or....should the blade bevel be ground in to match the ricasso plunge lines...or...does it really even matter? Am I making too much of too little?

I have also made a similar posting on the ABS forum, so maybe between the two, I can get the guidance I need to progress further.

All help is appreciated.

Tags
abs, bee, beginning, bevel, blade, easy, forging, hammer, knife, knives, made, making, newbie, outdoor, scratch, surface