MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Skilled

You are having far, far too much fun young man!

Old 09-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Living Legend

Somebody has to It's not often I get something that ends up being ten times cooler then I even anticipated. Even my daughter has been melting brass and copper and dropping it in water to get cool looking "nuggets" for necklace pendants.

FWIW, I do have a cover over the unit when not in use since it's so close to the grinder. My shop is very compact and that is the only place it could have gone. I will move my grinder over about 8" real soon. I will eventually swap spots with the ind forge and cooler. It doesn't have sensitive electronics like the forge does.

Last edited by B.Finnigan; 09-17-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 05:09 PM
Skilled

Now you've gone and done it!

Brent, I've been following this string for a while now as you know, even having sent you a few questions.

This last photo is just too much, now Tara wants us to get one as well. Her father thinks it's pretty cool too. It would almost be worth picking one up to get him involved in the knifemaking and forging, it gets a bit lonely in the shop.

Congrats on being a progressive father! My hats off to you.

Julie

Old 09-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Living Legend

we'll be melting some glass and making some beads in the next few days. The graphite mini crucible gets hot enough and of course she wants to melt more metal nuggets to. This time we will be dropping it into sand and seeing what kind of shapes we get.

And I have been commissioned to make some graphite molds for the metals and glass. Anything to keep them from rotting their brains in front of the TV.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Skilled

I'm going for my BA in Visual Arts Education, and this is just the coolest thing. I like the heightened safety factor of it, in terms of working around youngsters. If I can figure out a way to incorporate it into a solid lesson plan, perhaps I could get a grant for it.

However it is really stunning to watch my daughters face watching the YouTube videos, I love the magic of "science". Thanks for sharing.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Living Legend

It is much safer then having propane going and having kids around all the heat, insulwool particulates and having be aware of CO. Jessica has never really been interested in any shop activities but the new toy totally fascinates her. I have some colored glass coming and she is very excited about making some beads and pendants.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Hall of Famer

I have a DVD somewhere of a blacksmith demonstrator that uses marbles in his work. He takes
pieces of metal and puts various designs in it using hot tools at the forge. He then somehow
"aneals" the marble, or maybe preheat is the better word, so that it won't split apart when heated. After a while the marble softens and can be pushed into place, and in some instances almost poured into place. The end result is staggering! Especially if he's using some of the really fancy marbles with the design features all throughout it.
This is just a FYI, don't know if it's anything you guys would be interested in or not, but I'm really starting to like this induction machine!

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 09-16-2010, 06:32 PM
Living Legend

I had a guy contact me from OR that has a cooler he wants to get rid of. So if anyone is thinking about getting an ind. forge you can save some bucks buying a used but in good shape cooler. They are US made and very high quality. I wish he contacted me 3 weeks ago before I paid full price for one.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:53 PM
Living Legend

Over on the "Liquid Metals" sub-forum I posted a video of a small hematite smelt to get iron. Actually using a graphite crucible there is some carbon uptake into it also.

http://knifenetwork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54343
Old 09-23-2010, 01:46 AM
Master

Thanks for the updates Brent.

Craig
Old 09-23-2010, 11:11 AM
Living Legend

So many new things to try with it.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:07 PM
Steel Addict

I just got my induction forge and saw your mokume maker and gotta have one! Can you tell me where to buy one? Or maybe from you? I know this is an old thread....
Thanks,
Dave

Tags
blade, brass, forge, forging, guard, induction, knife, mokume