MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:20 PM

Belt recomendations

My KMG clone is almost complete and I need to order some belts. I've read the heck out of Tru Grit.com belt descriptions and still have ?? On my 1x42 I generally use Norton belts and do metal hogging with a 36 grit Zirconia. However, I have zero experience with a 2x72. Can I get some rx for a decent line-up of belts to start with.

At present my knives are all stock removal up to .25 both SS and 10xx. I need belts for both steel and handle scales.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:35 PM
Enthusiast

personaly i use the cubitron ceramic in 60 grit for removal then to 100 x,45x,and 30x in the trizac
Old 04-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Skilled

I too love the 3M Cubitron belts for metal. They may be pricey but really last and last. 984 Cubitron II in 60 and 80 grit, Cubitron 977 in 120 grit, and the 3M Trizact CF A45 (360 grit). I always finish hand sanding the metal to 400 grit. I tried a tip from Ed Caffrey and go directly from 120 to 400 (the A45). Saves a lot of time and also belts! Go to his website and you can read that and more of his tips.

Klingspor 309 J-flex belt for handles and scales. 120, 220, 320 and 400 grit.

I also love the Scotchbrite belts in medium and super fine. I use the medium to remove some scale after forging and then scale after quenching, and the super fine to give a very nice satin finish on metal parts. I still final hand sand my blades.

I highly recommend Pop's as he has the best prices I have found and excellent service and delivery.

Tony Z

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918
Old 04-11-2013, 07:57 PM
Skilled

Migolito,

I haven't had enough experience with belt manufacturers to prefer one over another, but I will whole-heartedly recommend Mr. Steve Kelly at Montana Knife Supply.(Montanaknifesupply.com) he only sells the products he uses in his shop. He is affordable, provides quality belts, honest, and quick. what more do you want? All that and he's a small business that your hard earned $ can support.

Montanaknifesupply.com

"We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends." Shel Silverstein
Old 04-11-2013, 10:45 PM
Hall of Famer

I like the Norton Norzon Plus belts up to 220 grit then I switch to 3M micron belts up to 600 grit. Then I either go to a Scotch-Brite medium course belt for a satin finish or I proceed with hand sanding.

Doug

Old 02-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Registered

Belt speed

I've read here somewhere that when using finer grit belts u want to slow them down so they don't plug up / go dull . Is there a calculation for belt speed -grit. So I can be close with my stepped pulley system for speed . Thanks Doug S

Tags
2x72, art, belts, blades, forging, hand, handle, handle scales, knife, knife supply, knives, metal, products, sand, satin finish, scale, scales, steel, stock removal, supply, tips