MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 09-10-2016, 02:42 PM
Enthusiast

Thumbs up Finished with 6 DDR3-BLs as groomsmen gifts

They're not perfect, but they're pretty awesome, and I spent an inordinate amount of time/effort in the process of making, and learning to make, these over the past year. Poured my heart and soul into them.

Black Walnut scales ($10/ea Amazon.com)
Boiled Linseed Oil finish
Sanded to 1500 grit

Also made a slideshow of the progress pics along the way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZtAID9xd5s

Last edited by Neil McCauley; 10-01-2016 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:56 PM
Guru

Talking

They look awesome. Super nice fit and finish, I can believe you put your all into them.
Are the working mechanism the Blackie Collins design? What did you seal the walnut with or did you just leave it at the oil?
I've don't usually make folders, but do buy a kit from time to time and put my handles on them. I have a Blackie Collins folder from 2004 and they look like it except for the shape of the blade being a bit different.

Last edited by jimmontg; 09-10-2016 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:23 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmontg View Post
They look awesome. Super nice fit and finish, I can believe you put your all into them.
Are the working mechanism the Blackie Collins design? What did you seal the walnut with or did you just leave it at the oil?
I've don't usually make folders, but do buy a kit from time to time and put my handles on them. I have a Blackie Collins folder from 2004 and they look like it except for the shape of the blade being a bit different.
Not familiar with the Blackie Collins knives, these are just the DDR3-BL kits from knifekits.com.

Didn't seal the walnut with anything, just the BLO. For long term maintenance, I have little 3mL vials I am going to fill with BLO and knife lube and include in the boxes.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:20 PM
Enthusiast

I remember sometime back you posted about some safety issues with these. Did you resolve it and how ? Very nice job. Got me revisiting the idea of building a few.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:32 PM
Guru

I wasn't aware they were kit knives as I didn't recognize the designation. I use blo and gunstock finish which leaves a coating of beeswax behind when the solvent evaporates and then I buff with a cloth on walnut. Just an extra layer of protection I'm not sure I need to do. lol
Old 09-12-2016, 04:43 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick McGee View Post
I remember sometime back you posted about some safety issues with these. Did you resolve it and how ? Very nice job. Got me revisiting the idea of building a few.
Yep that was me. No, haven't found anything, and I looked hard. No metal safeties, no one willing to custom make them for me, and couldn't find the old plastic safeties either. I really don't have the equipment or skills much less the time/money to fabricate metal ones myself, so I just bought some $4 nylon belt pouches on knifekits.com and am going warn my groomsmen never pocket them. No one wants an accidental vasectomy. It's a serious issue and I'm pretty disappointed it has never been addressed by knifekits.com after years and years of people griping about it on the forums. I sifted through dozens of old threads about it going back almost 10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmontg View Post
I wasn't aware they were kit knives as I didn't recognize the designation. I use blo and gunstock finish which leaves a coating of beeswax behind when the solvent evaporates and then I buff with a cloth on walnut. Just an extra layer of protection I'm not sure I need to do. lol
What gunstock finish do you use? I might try that. I basically just finished them like a gunstock, it's OK, not quite as glossy as I'd like. For maintenance touch ups I'm including with them little 3mL vials of BLO and knife oil.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:56 AM
Guru

I use the old fashioned Birchwood Casey Gun Stock Wax, available at Walmart or a sporting goods store. It contains Carnauba and Beeswax plus some silicone. It is in a solvent suspension that evaporates about as fast as a typical car wax does. It is banned in California as it says "Not For Sale in California" on the side of the bottle. It will soak into the wood and once dry you just hand buff or slow buff with a drill held buff. It shines a little better than BLO, but not much. Just a note car waxes like Turtle wax have a fine abrasive in them and are colored and should never be used on wood.

If you have some furniture wax it works too if you just happen to have some around.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Hi Neil,

Those look great. I'll bet your groomsmen are happy!

The slide lock is missing on purpose. We deemed it to be a possible design infringement and dropped it in the 2nd gen production. The liner slots were left in the design to make it easy for someone to make one for it. Most guys use square pin stock to make one with, but you can use other materials as well. All you need is something wider than the liner gap. It can be done with a sander or Dremel, but I've seen it done with a hacksaw and hand-file.

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 09-21-2016, 08:29 AM
Enthusiast

So I gave them to everyone last week- they were a big hit!

Making boxes got too complicated so I just gave little microfiber sunglass bags instead. I actually made 8 knives total, the extra two for my dad and father in law. I wanted those to be special so I used stabilized figured claro walnut scales for them and they came out really great. Allegedly may have brought my FIL to tears when he opened his.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNAdmin View Post
Hi Neil,

Those look great. I'll bet your groomsmen are happy!

The slide lock is missing on purpose. We deemed it to be a possible design infringement and dropped it in the 2nd gen production. The liner slots were left in the design to make it easy for someone to make one for it. Most guys use square pin stock to make one with, but you can use other materials as well. All you need is something wider than the liner gap. It can be done with a sander or Dremel, but I've seen it done with a hacksaw and hand-file.
Wow, it makes sense now. Thanks.

Last edited by Neil McCauley; 09-21-2016 at 08:37 AM.

Tags
awesome, back, blade, building, buy, ddr3, design, drill, for sale, guns, handles, kit, kits, knife, knifekits, knifekits.com, knives, linseed oil, make, making, mechanism, plastic, scales, store, walnut