MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 06-22-2003, 08:06 PM

Some great new prices!!!

Just thought I'd pass this along...

Lowe's just dropped their price on the Delta 1/2HP portable dust collector. This is the exact same model that is shown in the new Enco catalog for $195...Lowe's is now selling it for $88!!!! How can you go wrong?

Another item from Delta worth mentioning...

They recently came out with a brand new 12" bench drill press under the "Delta Shopmaster" brand. While Delta's had a drill press out for awhile now in the 12" size, what's noteworthy about this one is that it's true VARIABLE SPEED... and priced at only $199!!! There's a real convenient lever in the front...just slide it left to right to whatever speed you want...no belt-changing required (I think it's something like 500-3100).

Most places are still selling the relatively new (now about one year old) regular 12" for around $200 bucks...Getting the VS for the same price seems like a no-brainer...That's a lot of drill press for the money.

With a deal like this, and Lowe's just 10 minutes away, I'm planning on returning my newly acquired 10" Delta drill press and bumping up to the 12" VS drill press (That's why I like to shop local whenever possible ).

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!
Old 06-23-2003, 04:06 AM
Enthusiast

I bought that drill press 2 weeks ago i love it but i dont like the light it has on it. it just does not seem to stay where i put it. so i taped it to the back. i allway get the duck tape out when i get a drill press. First thing i do is take a 10 pound weight on top of it. that will make the darn thing at lest 2 times more quite. when i got the thing home i checked the work table and the thing was right on. i did not have to adjust it. and the variable speed is nice but i wish it have a bigger motor on it.
Old 06-23-2003, 10:00 AM

I also noticed that on the floor model the light seemed to want to shift it's position...Odd, the light on my 10" model works fine...and I have several of the Delta work lights with the magnetic bases...same twist-type arm and they all work quite well.

I don't like the chuck on my 10"...It's a Jacobs, in theory identical to the one on my 8" Delta, but it lacks sensitivity...tough to get small drills centered well. How do you find the one on your new 12" VS model (Which I believe is also the same chuck)?

I noticed that it's got 1/3HP...I figure that should be plenty for any of my knifemaking purposes (The 10" press only has 1/4HP). I'm still pretty new to all this but I have learned that HP is relative. What one manufacturer calls 1/3HP is not necessarily the same as another manufacturer. All I care about is that it gets the job done. (Ex. The 1HP Leeson I attached to my KMG kicks ass...especially compared with some 1hp chinese motors I've tried).

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!
Old 06-23-2003, 10:51 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey Guy
I'm still pretty new to all this but I have learned that HP is relative. What one manufacturer calls 1/3HP is not necessarily the same as another manufacturer. All I care about is that it gets the job done. (Ex. The 1HP Leeson I attached to my KMG kicks ass...especially compared with some 1hp chinese motors I've tried).
You've got it. HP can be relative. If you really want to compare apples to apples, compare the amperage of the motors. The more amps, the more power (usually). That's a pretty good way of determining which is more powerful.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 06-23-2003, 07:51 PM
Master

does that drill press have an adjustable stop? i like it when the depth of the hole can be controled with out having to crank the table up and down. some motors have a " rated horsepower"- what ever that is. as said- check the amps. paul
Old 06-23-2003, 09:24 PM

I suspect that these days all the "name brands" have adjustable stops...Delta is no exception. I prefer the one on the VS 12" over the stop on my 10". On my 10" the stop is situated on the shaft housing of the handle. You turn the handle, lowering the spindle until the pointer lines up with the mark on the scale you wish the holes to be drilled. Then tighten a lock screw on the shaft to set the stop. I find this method to be a pain and counter intuitive.

As I recall, the stop on the new VS model is similar in concept to the one on my 8" press...just set the nut to where you want the spindle to stop and you're in business. Much simpler to use IMHO...a no-brainer for when your busy and don't want to stop to figure out how to set the darn thing.

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!
Old 06-23-2003, 09:48 PM
Enthusiast

I have consistantlly found that every item sold buy "Lowes" seems to have a lower price by"Home Depot". The model number may vary but the item remains the same. In my opinion anyway!
Old 06-24-2003, 01:40 AM

Overall, I much prefer Lowe's...better selection, better prices, much better organized store, and far better trained employees.

It's difficult to compare their prices on power tools such as the ones being discussed in this thread as it's no longer apples vs. apples... Lowe's is now really big on Delta and always seems to have the jump on lowering prices on Delta power tools. Home Depot no longer carries much in the way of Delta...they are now instead very much in bed with Ryobi. From what I've seen, Delta overall seems superior in quality and pricing to Ryobi...especially for the home workshop kind of guy...IM(very)HO

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!
Old 06-24-2003, 01:49 AM
Enthusiast

the delta we are talking about has a quick adjust the good one. I was suprissed to find the deal at lowes. I am going to upgrade to quick adjust chucks soon.
Old 06-26-2003, 12:10 AM

Well, I made the swap tonight;...I returned the 10" press for the 12" variable speed. They are as different as night and day!

First, I can't get over the size difference...the 10" seemed so much smaller (I had a heck of a time lifting the head assembly on the 12" up onto the shaft...that sucker was heavy!). And my little 8" now appears to be so...well...little.

The chuck problem I had with the 10" is now a thing of the past. This new chuck is great! The complete opposite experience...very sensitive...I was able to grab a 1/16" drill and easily center it up in the chuck.

...and then there's the VS :cool: It is just too cool. No belts, just turn the lever to set it anywhere from 500-3100 rpm...what a pleasure.

For an extra bonus the table has a moat surrounding the center of the table... with four "troughs" running from the center on out to the moat . This is for any coolant I might use...again, a very cool addition.

All in all I am extremely happy with the switch and suspect this one will serve me very well for years to come...all this at a great price!!!

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

PS. BTW- Happily, the built-in light on mine is working just fine...maybe I just got lucky, but far be it for me to look a gift horse in the mouth.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:16 PM
Hall of Famer

you're collecting some nice toys ...i mean tools, dennis. thanks for the report.

Old 06-26-2003, 10:04 PM
Master

Hey Dennis, thanks for posting this...I was going to get another HF 12" benchtop drill press since I'm going to dedicate my current one to the Tapmatic, but after reading your post, made my way to Lowes and picked up the 12" VS DP. I got home and before taking it out of the box had the bright idea to check out Amazon to see what it went for there. It's the same $199, but also comes with a Delta 7-piece Forstner bit set (which will keep my wife happy! ...she's into woodworking), and no 9.25% Tennessee sales tax as well as free shipping. Man, it's going to be nice just adjusting that lever to change speed instead of changing the belt/pulley location. I may actually adjust the speed correctly for each size drill bit I use now! Have you seen this tray, it looks like it might be handy to have on the DP:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

-Darren

Visit the Forge Gallery - forge building resource pages
ForgeGallery.EllisCustomKnifeworks.com
Old 06-26-2003, 10:41 PM

Sounds like you made out real well...One day into it and I do love this new press. I can't get over what an improvement on my previous, smaller model. Everything about it is better...and yeh, the VS is just too, friggin' neat!

I do like that tray. Not sure I'd need it as I've got my press on a countertop...plenty of area on either side to set things down, but I may still look into that. I was thinking of heading over to the Delta regional retail center which is maybe 1/2 hour from my house. Haven't been there before...thought I'd check it out...

And speaking of checking it out...Believe it or not I'd never checked out Amazon.com for tools. I've looked nearly everywhere else imagineable on the Internet but for some reason never got around to checking their tool section. I'll have to bookmark that now as the prices are overall quite good.

Did you happen to see the 1/2hp AP300 Delta dust collector at Lowe's? Apparently Lowe's (or Delta) is discontinuing that model and Lowe's is blowing them out at $88 and I got the impression they're going fast. I see Amazon's got it down to $149. I don't do any big, heavy sanding jobs...for the work I do on my folders this should be plenty...

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!
Old 06-26-2003, 11:33 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey Guy
Did you happen to see the 1/2hp AP300 Delta dust collector at Lowe's? Apparently Lowe's (or Delta) is discontinuing that model and Lowe's is blowing them out at $88 and I got the impression they're going fast. I see Amazon's got it down to $149. I don't do any big, heavy sanding jobs...for the work I do on my folders this should be plenty...
No, I didn't even look at them. I bought mine a little over a month ago at full price, so I guess I'm out of luck.

Amazon usually has pretty darn good prices on stuff, and that coupled with their free shipping (which they run pretty often) makes them a pretty good place to shop for tools.

BTW, it was good meeting you at Blade. Also it was nice to check out your work in person...those folders are even better live than in pictures! I think I may be getting my wife warmed up to the idea of giving knifemaking a try starting off with the kit knives!! After seeing some of your work with the kit knives, and the fact that she loved your work on them, she's expressed some interest in giving it a try...with a little nudging from me. She's not done much work with her hands (History Ph.D. student) other than a little woodworking, but maybe this will be the motivation to get her interested in something we can do together. That would be good, as maybe I'll be able to eventually get her to use all of the equipment I'm building (hydraulic press, air hammer, roller mill)!

-Darren

Visit the Forge Gallery - forge building resource pages
ForgeGallery.EllisCustomKnifeworks.com

Tags
blade, knife, knives