MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Georgia Knifemaker's Guild

Georgia Knifemaker's Guild The Georgia Knifemaker's Guild. Furthering and fostering the passion of knives, knifemaking, and related interests

Old 03-30-2008, 12:04 PM

Sights and "Sounds"

Avery and I did make the trip up to TrackRock this weekend. We could not stay for Sunday's activities but we had a GREAT time Friday night and Saturday.

Friday night the GCKG had their Board meeting and then a supper for all who were there. Carl did a very nice job on putting this together on short notice. The weather for this was nice. Nothing more relaxing than an outdoor supper in the North Georgia mountains.

But even when the weather was not as cooperative as we like to see it, there was a great turnout for this with blacksmiths and those who just like knifemaking and other "smithing" crafts coming out to see all that was going on.

The clouds kept the mountains covered until mid-afternoon.

The rain may have made outside a little dreary but inside the big barn we had folks from all over light up the forges and soon you could hear the hammers ringing all over the campgrounds.

Randy Scott (GCKG member)on the left and Mike Brown, on the right, two TrackRock regulars, lit the forges early and got us going.

Randy did a demo Saturday afternoon on how to build and operate a one brick forge.

Ken Simmons was not far behind in getting his project for the day started.

Wayne Hensley (GCKG, NKG member), was on hand to oversee the activities.

Charlie and Harry Mathews (TwinBlades) were there to get in some anvil time and always ready to answer any questions and give tips on how this is all done.

Rick Lowe, (left) who has been a TrackRock staple for years, is making quite a name for himself not just as a blacksmith and knifemaker but also as a leather crafter. Rick did a leather sheath demo at the Great Smoky Mountain Bladesmithing Symposium & Knife Show that was offered by ABS in Clyde, NC in March. Here, Rick and Craig Schneeberger, GCKG, Flint River member, are checking on the progress of the steel in the fire.

No matter if it is TrackRock, a Georgia Guild meeting, or any of the other community events he participates in, you can always find GCKG President and TrackRock organizer, Carl Rechsteiner, doing what is closest to his heart, instructing others on the craft of blacksmithing. Carl also did a demo on "microsmithing--forging minature blades".

Avery's luck finally ran out and he only came home with 2 treasures from "Iron-In-The-Hat" this time around. I'm not sure if he is collecting items for his own shop or starting a knife supply business one day---move over Pop.

One of the items closest to my heart was held on Saturday. The drawing for the knife for the John Poythress Scholarship Fund. The GCKG members donate a knife a quarter to be raffled off at our meetings. The money from the sale of the tickets is used to fund the Scholarship. At this meeting Carl donated this nice knife. Carl I'm sorry I did not get the specs on this before we had to leave Saturday.

The knife found it's home with Boone. He made the trip from Alto with Scott Davidson of Solid Rock Knives.

There was so much going on and so many folks there, it was hard to keep up with it all. Emory Fennell came up from South Georgia and joined forces with Sandy Morrissey and Karla VanHorn to visit with us on Saturday. Emory had come up on Thursday and formed a bond with Sandy with many late night discussions on many topics---some of which included knifemaking. We also had demos on testing unknown steels for possible blade material; general bladesmithing techniques that were our ongoing demos by several of the smiths there; and an open forum on sheath making and leather work by one of Georgia's treasures, Sandy Morrissey, master leather crafter.

If you missed this weekend just stayed turned---Georgia Guild meetings are held once a quarter all over the state and TrackRock will happen again in the fall of this year. Keep checking our forum for all the info.

A great BIG thank you to the Alexanders for opening TrackRock to us for this event.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:12 PM

Well done Joan. It's nice to have running commentary to go with the pictures. Adds life to the thread and the pictures are great.
I'd like to thank everyone for attending. We had a very good crowd (most of them actually behaved!). I think everyone had a great time, because few left early and then only because they had to.
The Alexanders' extend their welcome for any and all to come back anytime. One cannot find a better setting for this kind of event, truly a blessing for the soul.
I greatly appreciate all the continual volunteer help you guys give me that keeps this event and the Guild itself going strong. Thanks so much.

The JP Scholarship Knife is forged OSB (old saw blade), poured in place pewter guard, and deer leg bone handle. Get Scott Davidson to tell you how close he got to winning it instead of Boone.

I still don't understand why a champion boomarang thrower has to travel!

Missed you brother John. Get well soon.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 03-31-2008, 09:40 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Sounds like it was a good time. Maybe next meeting I won't be sick as a dog...

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 03-31-2008, 07:48 PM

Follow up on Trackrock......You guys that missed it missed big! There's not a greater bunch of folks to get bunched up in a barn with anywhere.

Real sorry you couldn't make it Jamey, I hope you get well quickly.

Talked with Frank this morning before leaving, he was standing at his duck-foot forge getting ready to do just a little more smithing before the camping season picks up in earnest at Trackrock. Plus he wanted to get a few more licks in on the "Big Fish" (400# +/- Fisher anvil) before she went back home.
We took a little time to talk about an expansion he has planned for the barn this summer. He wanted to make sure it would help facilitate future hammer-ins. Are the Alexanders/Trackrock gems or what?

He has suggested the weekend of Septmber 26th for the Fall Hammer-in at Trackrock (pending Miss Debbie's approval). Mark it on your calender folks. I've already got my cabin reserved.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Last edited by Crex; 03-31-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:14 PM

What a great time. I did a lot of forging, but my daughter Kassidy did the best forging of the whole weekend. Thanks again Carl for working with her and producing a great looking hook. Carl waited until they were almost finished to tell me that he'd never forged a hook before! Anyways, you'll be glad to know that it is hanging up in her bedroom and it hasn't been painted purple......yet!

Thanks again to everyone for a great time. I hope to make it up to Trackrock when Uncle Sam sees fit!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kass1.jpg (25.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg kass2.jpg (16.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg kass3.jpg (24.5 KB, 15 views)
Old 04-01-2008, 08:10 PM
Skilled

I sure hated to miss this one and it sounds like I missed a good one. Glad everyone had a good time. I hope to see everyone at the next Guild meeting.

Carey

You are cordially invited to check out my web site:
Handmade Knives by Carey Quinn
Old 04-02-2008, 05:22 AM

Yeah Carey, everyone was asking where that crazy ol' whitehaired geezer was! (kidding of course, but you were missed).

Ryan, tell Kassidy the pleasure was all mine and I guess purple would be alright. Thanks for posting the pictures. Kassidy showed a lot of composure with all the poparatzi snapping pictures of her forging. She did really well (takes after the old man). She's always welcome at my forge, as are you. We should have gotten a picture of her standing on "Big Fish" while we had the chance.
Again, I hope your tour is successful and safe. See you at the Blade.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife