MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-26-2001, 05:47 AM
calvin

stacked handles

Does anyone know how to stack a leather handle. I am planning on doing some. I want to stack leather and various other things including wood and some fossilized bone that I have. I know that some spacers are needed. I need to get instructions or directions to a tuturial. Those that know please respond. Thanks very much.
Old 08-26-2001, 09:39 AM
cajun bones

Calvin,

Page 46 of Knives Illustrated (October issue) has an article that just came out. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll send you my copy.

Chris
Old 08-26-2001, 03:40 PM
calvin

stacked handles

Thanks Cajun.

I will see if I can get a copy. IF not I will yell at you. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2001, 10:57 PM
John m cohea

Here`s my method for stacked handles.Hope it helps. I have a jig I made to stack all my components onmade from 1095 which is about 5 inches long. I usually use leather along with bocote, colored fiber and brass copper or nickle silver in the 30 or 40 thousandths range. I usually start with with 1 1/2 inch square material punched or drilled to fit your tang. I glue up several blocks of leather using 4 or 5 pieces per block. I then use three pieces of fiber in different colors(red,white, red for example) and glue these to each side of a piece of bocote.drill all of these blocks plus your metals(if any)and stack on your tang (without your guard in place) in a pattern that you like, for example leather ,metal ,one fiber, metal ,(brass and black or red fiber looks nice) bocote & fiber, leather ect. until you get a combination and handle size you like. Be sure to coat your tang with beeswax or something similar before gluing all this up so it can be removed after grinding. grind to a size and shape that you like (go slowly if there is metal in this mix so your epoxy does`nt fail).Once on the finished knife it can be polished using a non coloring rouge or coated with a few coats of super glue, then polished for a rock hard glassy finish.

Tags
knife, knives