MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-24-2001, 06:46 PM
Fireball

compliments and questions

hats off to the webmasters of this site! it is my favorite spot on the web and is well maintained -easy to use- and i just love the way i can move around in here. for example---i went to texas knife maker supply and could not find accraglass. i searched the "back pages" and found ed's comments on page seven under epoxy. i should have written brownell's down back then but didn't. THANK's for keeping the pages.

questions-- while at texas knife supply site i saw a grinding wheel with slots--anyone ever use one? i sure have not - what is the deal? cooler metal when grinding?

i have put a choil on the fixed blade i'm working on--i agree that cosmetically it looks like a flaw-- but i can also see the purpose and since the blade is thick i chose to add one. how do you determine correctly the depth and width of a choil. i tried using calipers to figure out a % of size by length - then i tried to figure out a % by thickness of the blade. the thickness seemed closer --so to make a short story long i just "eyeballed" it. seems to work on most things anyway.
Old 08-25-2001, 11:08 AM
Geno

The serrated wheel is for hogging metal.
That gives the belt a more aggressive bite for quick metal removal.
Used for roughing opperations only.
Not recommended for finish work.

The finger groove should be less than 1/2 as deep as the blade is tall.Do not go over 50% in depth or you will loose strength and create a week spot there.
Asthetics and balance are the governing factors of how deep the knotch is made for the finger groove.
Hope it helps.

Tags
blade, fixed blade, hunting knife, knife