MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 03-07-2002, 12:44 PM
dancbr929

Butt-cap for stag

I made a knife with the intentions of hiding the tang and pining it. I came acrost some round stag and want to use that insted of wood.

I would like to put a but-cap in the end of the stag but my tang is not long enouch to thred. Anyone have any advice??

Thanks

Dan Keffeler
Old 03-07-2002, 03:14 PM
Raymond Richard

Dan, there's a number of ways to go about it. You can brase a threaded rod onto the tang. Brase or solder a screw onto the butt cap. I've even tapped the cap and threaded a rod to it, drill the handle material and epoxy the butt cap to the handle. Ray

Old 03-07-2002, 07:33 PM
Mike Sader

Dan,I drill a 1/8" hole in the tang and split a carraige bolt or piece of allthread, bend to match the horn if necessary and pin the bolt to the tang then fill cavity w/ epoxy,braze a nut to buttcap or tap it if it is thick enough and screw it on. Takes some good measurements and a lot of trial fitting but I learned this way from Dwayne Dushane and it has worked for me. Good luck, Mike Sader
Old 03-07-2002, 10:21 PM
Knifemaker01

I've put brass caps on by using two brass tapered head wood screws. Drill a couple holes in the cap, and countersink slightly. After drilling slightly smaller holes in the antler, put the screws in with epoxy. Some tapping of the screw heads help set them good and makes the screws virtually unnoticeable once the slots are ground off.

Steve
Old 03-15-2002, 02:59 PM
Tangus

Dan,

in your case you can either pin or silver braze a rod onto your tang (cut a slot into the bolt the thickness of the tang, then silver solder on).
or given your current situation where the tang doesn't go all the way through the stag, you can epoxy a small brass screw onto the underneath side of the pommel (horn) and then set the pommel onto your stag end and fill the stag cavity (on the end) with expoxy and set the screw down into the epoxy. the result is that the screw ridges will give bonding authority to the epoxy and it wont pull off easily. It is best to slightly countersink the head of the screw into the pommel underside to give it a better adhesion by the epoxy--hope this helps--Dan

Tags
knife