MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 09-03-2002, 09:14 AM
Registered

Using a sharpening steel to touch up blade???

I can get my knifes quite shrp with spyderco 204. However, whenever I try to use my Henkel steel on them to realign the blade, I mess it up and it is actually more dullthan when I began. Do you have any tips on using a sharpening steel? Thanks.
Old 09-03-2002, 08:56 PM
Hall of Famer

quite a lot of good info here

Old 09-25-2002, 09:56 AM
Living Legend

sharpening steels

Greetings all,

I love using a steel, especially on my carbon kitchen knives, but as mentioned, the steel has to be the right one. My experiences with sharpening steels have largely been with my own carbon steel knives. If possible, I'd include one with each knife I make. I just find them so effective, but you must get the ones with the finest possible grooves.

I've also made two "steels" from offcuts of O-1. I fully harden and give it a blast with a torch just to barely destress, then mount the tang into a piece of say, antler tip or scrap wood / Micarta. I grind a smooth face along the edge and polish it beyond spent 1200grit paper. I have used that as a field steel on a couple of custom pieces.

The angle you use might have a bearing on how it works. I use pretty much the same angle as the edge bevel. On a steel I backstrop rather than skate the edge over the steel in all directions. 5x each side, then 3x, then 2x, then once each side. The edge should be polished brilliantly provided the edge was in reasonable condition to begin with.

Usually on my 1095, O-1 blades, I can coach a slightly dulled edge back to a shaving sharp edge without any abrasive, using just the steel. Its sort of like swaging the edge back into shape. Mind you, I've found it impossible to do with the 2 5160 blades I have, and I have no idea if it will be as effective on stainless.

The edge quality I get with the steel is also different. It seems to not only have that razor sharpness, but at that point it still has more toothy bite than a typical polished edge. Ie.- makes a pretty darn sharp boning knife.

Can anyone shed more light on this ? Does steeling in either direction create or destroy that microtoothed edge on the edge ? Is my swaging the edge theory correct, given that the edge should be hardened already ?

(Matthew 10.16)

Tags
blade, knife, knives