MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:29 AM
Master

When wearing a portable mp3 player don't forget to run the headphone wires on the inside of your shirt. Earbuds being pulled out of your ears at 3,000+ rpm when the wire catches on a buffing wheel will wake you up fast. I was "in a hurry", I should know better.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:13 PM
Skilled

Hey Andy...LOOK UP!!!

Never lay a nearly completed blade on the belt of a bench grinder and leave the shop. You may forget and hit the ON button and hour later.

Mine bounced off the little TV screen. Oh, and chipped the tip on the concrete floor. They always fall pointie part down.

chiger,

Last edited by chiger; 06-19-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Hall of Famer

Chiger if the point chiped the temper wasn't right anyway.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:37 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiger
Hey Andy...LOOK UP!!!

Never lay a nearly completed blade on the belt of a bench grinder and leave the shop. You may forget and hit the ON button and hour later.

Mine bounced off the little TV screen. Oh, and chipped the tip on the concrete floor. They always fall pointie part down.

chiger,

Ooh, yeah! And another one: Always stand to one side of the lathe when you turn it on, just in case you forgot and left the chuck key in there. Luckily it was on a relatively low speed, and it only took me ten minutes to find the key after it clipped my shoulder and bounced off the wall...
Old 06-21-2008, 10:34 AM
Living Legend

Never weld next to a 5 ga bucket of fluffy titanium turnings. It's like a fireworks show but with only white flames and sparks. Then as you run out of the shop with the flaming bucket you end up looking like a Monty Python version of an Olypic Torch bearer.

Alan, I have done the flying lathe chuck key a couple times myself. My new chuck has spring loaded key holes so turning is not as exciting as it was before. But I am adjusting to it.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:41 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger1
Chiger if the point chiped the temper wasn't right anyway.
I did say nearly complete Andy. I really would have been ticked if it had been heat treated. It would have stuck into the TV glass.

Mr. Finnigan reminds me. If you are using unsealed motors in your shop, don't be lazy about blowing them out from time to time. Especially if you are also as forgetful as me about turning on dust collection.

Pressing the ON button may result in something akin to an M-80 in a mailbox. Doough!

chiger,
Old 06-22-2008, 09:29 AM
Enthusiast

Never lean over a milling machine to chage the belt whist still plugged in caught the switch and it wound me up good before I knocked it into reverse.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:02 PM
Hall of Famer

Cool

Rule #1 Always pick up the steel by the cool end

Rule #2 There may not be a cool end.

If you heated up the tang of a knife to straighten out a few kinks chances are that it's still going to be kind of hot 5-10 minutes later. Don't ask .

Doug Lester

Old 07-15-2008, 06:41 PM
Skilled

If your shop lights are on the same circuit with any other equipment be sure to carry a flashlight in your pocket especially if your shop is a mess and it's 2:00am, new moon, and overcast. You will be at the farthest point from the door/breaker-box when the lights go out. Better yet, spread your shop lights across two circuits.

-Ben (survivor of the blind maze of death)
Old 08-13-2008, 12:03 AM
Steel Addict

I think you guys already mentioned 0000 steel wool makes a great fire starter. You also might like to know that you should REALLY check again that the power is off to the main breaker before trying to clean up aluminum buss bars that are a bit corroded to make better contact with a breaker. 240 volts really lights that stuff good. Probably oughta put the other hand in your pocket, and stand on a rubber mat too.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:08 AM
Steel Addict

When cutting off a bad female plug from an extension cord to replace it, always remove the male end from the wall receptacle after making your tests first. Or use a knife you don't mind grinding 3/16" narrower.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:28 PM
Skilled

Never climb under your bench to get what you dropped while there are round pointed objects on top.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Hall of Famer

I just realized that I've made 5 posts on this thread (ok, 4 post and a joke). Dang, I must be one heck of a clutz.

Doug Lester

Old 08-18-2008, 10:49 PM
Skilled

Hey Doug, nope. Not a clutz.

That's like rule 3 of the knife makers manual. If you live long enough, you'll make every mistake possible at least once and you'll repeat the simple ones multiple times! ;~)

chiger,
Old 08-19-2008, 12:39 AM
Skilled

Good quote Chiger,
I am an electrician and while wiring a house one day I drilled though one of the plumbers pipes.Hehe woops! I was mad at myself and imbarressed to say the least. When he got there I was ready for and a$$ chewing or something when I showed him what I done. I told him I would help him fix it. His answer was "well the person that doesn't ever mess up or do anything wrong, we know he's not doin anything at all. Just learn from your mistakes." I thought that was pretty good of him, and a good saying. I have burnt my fingures many of times and dang near chopped one off in the shop. Fun Stuff, Shane

Tags
blade, fixed blade, forge, forging, knife, knives