MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 12-13-2006, 05:50 PM
Skilled

Finally made a guillotine

Sometimes I put things off that I shouldn't. Well, today I finally got around to making a guillotine fuller. Fast and sweet don't even describe it. If you haven't made one yet, DO IT NOW......... You will think you have died and gone to "Stick-Tang-Heaven"........

Anyway, I present.......... "Globzilla"........... A big thanks goes to my buddy Ray Richards for giving me the inspiration to complete this, based on his "Godzilla" guillotine.

Robert
Old 12-13-2006, 07:04 PM
Steel Addict

I like that Robert I going to make one of them. I know it would work alot better than the spring fuler I am using. Thanks for sharing
Old 12-13-2006, 08:11 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
good looking piece. I bought a spring fuller made by off center. Every time i use it, the allen screws that hold the rods back out after about 3 good smacks
Old 12-13-2006, 08:55 PM
Skilled

That looks really good - how thick is the choppers on it ?

I made mine from 5/8 dia. coil spring like the one in 50$ knife shop book it works fair.
It can be a pain sometimes gettin a blade wedged in it to start before it gets to cold.
I may make one like that.

I wonder if a guy might make somethin to do the bevels on a blade like that- do both bevels at the same time ????
Old 12-13-2006, 10:06 PM
Living Legend

There very handy to have. I have a 1/4" and a 1/2" and plan on making two more. I had to replace the lock nuts with cotter pins since the nuts backed off from the impacting.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:35 AM
Steel Addict

Forgive me for being a newbie. But what is it and how is it used?
Old 12-14-2006, 10:56 AM
Living Legend

Notching and drawing out along with several other applications that can not be done with a hammer.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:59 PM
Steel Addict

Now that has to be the simplest form of guillotine yet. "Globzilla"? That doesn't seem to refer to your welds. The paint job, maybe? Y'know, pinstripes really improve performance on just about anything. Except for cats....

Old 12-14-2006, 09:37 PM
Skilled

Well Robert, I know what project will be added to my to-do list next. Looks like it might get some priority treatment too. How wide will "GLOBZILLA" open?

Old 12-15-2006, 09:26 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Mathews
Well Robert, I know what project will be added to my to-do list next. Looks like it might get some priority treatment too. How wide will "GLOBZILLA" open?
It should open 180 degrees. I'm not sure if Robert put a radius on the movable blade but there should be a radius on the bottom corner of that piece.

Old 12-15-2006, 10:21 AM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
Boy, I was really hoping for the French head-choppy kind...

jloose.com

Old 12-15-2006, 10:46 AM
Steel Addict

Hello, and fuller comment

Hello, I'm Martin Brandt, knifemaker and sometimes supplier DBA North Coast Knife and Forge Supply, in Springfield Oregon. I primarily forge blades and some decorative iron. I especially enjoy forging second chance blades from previously used steel. I thought I might finally post after years of lurking and reading. Just a suggestion on this type of fuller. When I made mine, I left a narrow extension 1/4 width on the top of the top blade, and about 3/4 the length of the actual blade, extending out on the side opposite the blade you strike. This lever allows me to open the fuller with a little pressure from my hammer head while I slide that which I wish to fuller in the other side. Quick and easy. I also ground a slight radius on the corners of the two fuller blades, which makes it easy to slide things in, as well as not leaving any sharp edge marks from the fuller on steel being struck that might creat cold shuts. Sorry I'm not able to include pictures yet, but I'll try to monitor here if any questions, or e-mail at oubob747@aol.com
Old 12-15-2006, 11:51 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Brandt
Hello, I'm Martin Brandt, knifemaker and sometimes supplier DBA North Coast Knife and Forge Supply, in Springfield Oregon. I primarily forge blades and some decorative iron. I especially enjoy forging second chance blades from previously used steel. I thought I might finally post after years of lurking and reading. Just a suggestion on this type of fuller. When I made mine, I left a narrow extension 1/4 width on the top of the top blade, and about 3/4 the length of the actual blade, extending out on the side opposite the blade you strike. This lever allows me to open the fuller with a little pressure from my hammer head while I slide that which I wish to fuller in the other side. Quick and easy. I also ground a slight radius on the corners of the two fuller blades, which makes it easy to slide things in, as well as not leaving any sharp edge marks from the fuller on steel being struck that might creat cold shuts. Sorry I'm not able to include pictures yet, but I'll try to monitor here if any questions, or e-mail at oubob747@aol.com
Hey Marty, Lynn was telling me about your tool. I may make that conversion if I ever get around to it. I always knew you were a lurker.......

Old 12-16-2006, 05:33 PM
Skilled

I was thinking of something a little more of the 18th century French kind of guillotine too. Not that I am disappointed Robert, it's just that I already had some ideas of what it might look like, and figured it might be a special order cigar cutter or something. I have got to get a faster computer. I evidently have entirely to much time to think about what stuff is going to look like before it shows up. I'm kind of glad to know that I wasn't the only one.
Back to the guillotine. Never having seen one of these being used or even seen one period, but recognizing how handy one of these suckers would be, would you be interested in bringing it to the Georgia Guild meeting in February if you can come? I would really like to see it in action.

Old 12-16-2006, 07:04 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Brandt
This lever allows me to open the fuller with a little pressure from my hammer head while I slide that which I wish to fuller in the other side. I also ground a slight radius on the corners of the two fuller blades, which makes it easy to slide things in, as well as not leaving any sharp edge marks from the fuller on steel being struck that might creat cold shuts.]
The lever sounds like a good idea. My blades have a radius ground into the edges for just that reason.

Thanks,

Robert

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife