MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 01-21-2002, 01:02 PM
dmelton

Home built 2x72

I've had some people ask me to post pictures of my home made grinder so here they are!

This grinder was made from metal tubing I got when I scrapped an old metal desk. The entire grinder was built for about 250$ including a 2hp motor from HarborFrieght. Rob Frink made the idler wheel, the contact wheel is an 8inch replacement wheel from Grizzly($2:cool:

Maybe this will inspire some other new makers like myself!

Thanks,
Derek Melton
Jackson, MS.
Old 01-21-2002, 01:18 PM
DC KNIVES

Very Nice,like your tracking mechanism.Dave
Old 01-21-2002, 01:45 PM
Bob Warner

Looks great. Good to see more pictures posted on home built tools. There are a lot of people that want to make them but don't have any idea where to start. This generates ideas.

I also like the tracking mechanism.

Good job.

Old 01-22-2002, 02:01 PM
Geno

Cool looking grinder.
How hard is it to change belt speeds?
Looks like a KILLER tracking system on that piece.
Bet it runs pretty smooth too, huh?
Old 01-23-2002, 04:54 PM
Troop9242

anyway I could get a copy of your plans and buy list. I'm in the process of trying to find and build a good 2x72 belt grinder and yours looks like it's up my alley. Thanks.
James
Old 01-23-2002, 05:40 PM
dmelton

plans - parts

Well, I had a few drawings I used, actually they're bitmap files you can view in MSPaint. I'll try and find them and post them here. As for a parts list I used an old desk for the framing but you could use angle iron or square tubing or even some hardwood. The parts I had to buy were: 8inch grizzly contact wheel, 4 inch idler wheel and 1/2inch dia. shaft from Rob Frink, 2 bearings, the pulleys for the motor and shaft and then a bunch of nuts and bolts to hold it all together. I'll see what I can put together and post it here.
Old 01-24-2002, 11:05 AM
Troop9242

Re: plans - parts

thanks for taking the time to put it all together. Look forward to building one myself.
James
Old 01-25-2002, 04:49 PM
Baltes189

wheel

are you saying you bought that contact wheel for $2 ??? Cause that would be one heck of a deal!
Old 01-26-2002, 12:36 PM
dmelton

typo

No, thats a typo. It was 25$. Still, not a bad deal at all. It's not the highest quality wheel but it's balanced and true!
Old 01-28-2002, 08:29 PM
allan lanigan

Re: typo

Looks like a good unit,are you going to put a guard on the pulley, My grinder is similar, and coat got caught. I know better but just could not wait to try it out.
Old 01-29-2002, 08:21 AM
dmelton

guard

Yep, I plan to put a guard starting around the pulley and going all the way over and behind the motor with just a hole for the shaft to poke through. This will keep dust away from my motor and my clothing out of the belt! I have an open frame motor running it now with pantyhose stretched over it as a dust filter. =) I also plan to build a guard over the top of the idler wheel, I get sparks in my hair now if I'm not wearing a hat. =)

Thanks,
Derek
Old 03-09-2002, 07:15 AM

more questions

Derek-
I just ordered in some pieces from Grizzly. Were you going to post the MSPaint stuff?

I think my only trouble is going to be the idler. I ordered the idler pulley w/o bearings and it appears to be metric sizes. So I will have to order the bearings and shafting to match. I hope the big wheel really is 3/4" so I don't need metrics all-around, not that that would be bad either.