MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Update on the Caffrey's

Just wanted to update everyone.....as some of you know, Cindy's Mom has been diagnosed with colon and liver cancer. Mom arrived in Montana late Wed night. Frankly, when I saw her, I was surprised she was able to make the trip! She is nearly to the immobile state! She's only somewhat responsive, and can hardly speak.

We spent the day yesterday dealing with Hospice, getting a hospital bed into the house, and getting her pain meds lined out. What that all means for me is that since loosing her Dad in late Feb, Cindy has used up all of her "off time" from work. It's going to be up to me, and Mandi when she has days off, to be caregivers. Nobody has gotten much sleep here in the last two days. My time in the shop is going to be very limited until this situation plays itself out. I'm going to try to get a couple of hours in each evening, but likely won't get much done until this is over.

Also, yesterday I had my annual CAT scan because of the lung issue a couple of years ago. I got a little freaked out when the Doc came in and told me that the CAT scan showed 6 "spots" scattered throughout my lungs! After he calmed me down, he told me that he was 95% certain that is wasn't anything that would turn cancerous. None of the "spots" are larger than 3mm...and he said they usually never even mention anything to the patient unless they are 1cm or larger.
He went on to say that it looks like it's "encapsulated"....basically something that has gotten in there, and my body is trying to seal it off. A little later in the day he called me and told me that he had researched, and could only find a total of 9 other cases of this nature....and in all of those cases nothing ever turned cancerous. Basically I'm just a "rare case"......he's going to refer me to another Doc for "study", and made the statement that he's not too worried about it....but in the same breath told me that my CAT scans will now be every 6 months.

I tried not to tell Cindy, as she's already got enough on her mind.....but I couldn't lie to her either.
So, for now we'll direct our attentions to Mom, and care for her as best we can.....and if my situation turns into anything, we'll deal with that too.

Just figured I keep everyone updated......besides, there's not much else I can do right now except watch over Mom, and play on the computer.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."

Last edited by Ed Caffrey; 04-20-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Master

Can't be easy, but I'm pretty sure it helps to get everyone under the same roof. It's no wonder to me that Mandi came out so good. Don't put off any of your doc visits, and see if the new guy might want to do the next scan even earlier, just to stay on it.

Take care, Craig
Old 04-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Master

I hate to see bad things happen to good people. Hang in there Ed, I hope things improve for you guys soon.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:29 PM
Skilled

Ed, I understand the feeling, buddy.
I've just recently returned from my last visit with my sister in Minnesota.
She is losing her fight with lung cancer.
I went up to lend a hand in taking care of her as long as I could to give my bro-in-law a break.
Right now it's just my brother-in-law and hospice basically waiting for her clock to finally wind down.
I honestly don't see her lasting through the weekend.
None of it is easy, but when it comes to that time in life, that's what family is all about.
Praise every day that we're alive.
I haven't been very involved here lately, but I have thought of you and your family often since your troubles began.
To better days.

What do you do when you see your ex in pain, limping and bleeding?

Relax. Take a deep breath. Reload and then shoot again.

http://www.andersenforge.com/
Old 04-20-2012, 08:02 PM
Steel Addict

Ed, sure am sorry to hear about your situation and prayers sent for you and your family. Karl, I am also sorry to hear about your situation as well and prayers sent your way also.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Karl....your in our prayers!

I knew this was going to be hard, but today was my first day alone, watching over Mom, and it's MUCH more difficult than my previous encounters with this type of situation. She's to the point where she can barely communicate, and it's very difficult figure out just how she's doing.
I've got to tell you that the Hospice folks are simply incredible people! The Hospice nurse was here toady....and I can only say that the level of professionalism along with the incredible compassion they provide is nothing short of wonderful.

The nurse is due back on Monday, and tells us that after examining Mom then, she might be able to give us some indication of how approximately how long Mom has left.
Since Cindy has the weekend off, I'm hoping to get a few hours in the shop....but we'll have to see how things go.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 04-20-2012, 11:04 PM
Enthusiast

Praying for you and your's Ed. Heck with the shop stuff, it'll still be there when this plays out. Don't under estimate how much Cindy needs you now. Mom is there in your house and all Cindy can do is watch her waste away, wondering if each breath is her last. Being at the house there is no escape. She won't feel right leaving home for even an hour she don't have to. So she will most likely stay at the bedside and wait and will need your supprt and watchful eye the whole time.
Any customers with pending orders, that aren't understanding about the situation, doesn't deserve one of your knives, in my opinion.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family, Ed.

My wife got a letter from the medical center today that starts, "Your imaging study shows an abnormality that requires further evaluation." Needless to say, she pretty scared. I couldn't help reading your ctscan issue and seeing the similarity.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:39 AM
Skilled

Prayers sent from both of us.

God Bless

Old 04-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

I feel for you Ed - went through a similar situation with my own mother back in 1977. RIP Mom and prayers up for you and yours ED.
re: The lung spot - I had the same thing crop up on a CAT scan back in September and after a PET scan it was determined for sure to be non-cancerous. After discussing it with several docs, including a panel of oncologists, and letting them know my work history (cabinet shops and knife/leather crafting) they figured it was caused by dust and or damage due to chemical inhalation (acetone, toluene, etc) and the body was sealing the damage off with scar tissue.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:02 AM
Steel Addict

More prayers your way, Ed. Take care.

Jeremy
Old 04-21-2012, 12:07 PM
Skilled

God bless and keep you all as you move through this time of transition.

Julie

Old 04-21-2012, 10:39 PM
Steel Addict

My prayers are with you Ed.

On thing that may sound selfish at this time, but believe me it is important. Remember to take care of yourself, with out you the wheels fall off.

I took care of my dad for over 20 years and did not take advantage of the outside help that is available. Wore myself out - take the time to find out what assistance is available to you and don't feel bashful about asking.

Good luck and hope it all works out for all concerned.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:39 AM
Steel Addict

Ed You and your family are in our prayers.

Jim

Old 04-22-2012, 08:50 AM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to boatbuilder
You know most of our phone numbers Ed. Use them whenever you need/want. That's what we are here for.
Jim

Tags
advice, blade, cancer, edge, knife, knives, leather, military, post