MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 12-12-2005, 10:08 PM

1945 Catalog "The Mark of Bo"

On another forum in another lifetime I started a thread about the three catalogs published in 1945. The first had a blue cover with a photo of a 3-6. The second had a beige cover with a photo of a 4-7. The third was identical to the second except it had a woodgrained cover (One of these recently came up on e-bay). The difference in content was that the first offered only a seven inch version of the model 4 and it offered both a 4 inch and a four and a half inch version of the model 7. The 2nd and third catalogs added a 5 inch version of the model 4 and dropped the 4 inch offering of the model 7. Bo still had inventory of the first catalog when he decided to offer a five inch version of the Model 4, yet he still wanted customers to know that this blade length was available when he sent out the remaining first edition catalogs. Solution: Handwrite in the 5 inch version! My copy has this addition (see photo, but excuse it being washed out because of the flash). Now another catalog has shown up on e-bay with this same addition:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Randall-cat...QQcmdZViewItem

Compare the handwriting in these two catalogs to that in Bo's letters to collector John Edwards in the back of Hunt's second book and you will see what I mean. Hope this is of interest to some of you.

Best,

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45 catalog 006 (Custom).jpg (55.6 KB, 34 views)
Old 12-13-2005, 10:37 AM
Skilled

...This is really pretty interesting. You have to wonder how many catalogs from the 40s and early 50s are still out there? Perhaps someone cleaning out "grandpas" old stuff threw one in the trash just today? And that one on Ebay is probably going to go over $500. Who would have ever thought we could get so interested in old catalogs?
Jeff

Last edited by jclarksnakes; 12-13-2005 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:01 AM

Hi Jeff and Ron!

Part of the fascination with RMK, apart from the excellent quality of the knives themselves is their history.

Beginning with Bo Randall's first attempts at knife-making, the contribution of his knives to the WWII effort, right up to today's remarkable family run business, the collector always wishes to enhance his or her collection with documents and memorabilia of the world of Randall.

Let's face it, many interesting items of historical significance have been tossed in the garbage with nary a second thought. Thanks goodness for the "pack rats" of this world!

Cheers!

Moosehead

Old 12-14-2005, 06:39 PM

They Call It Ephemera

The 1946 and 1947 catalogs recently listed on E-Bay by a San Antonio Seller spent the majority of their lives in a file folder. The original owner had visited Orlando in 1946-1947 and apparently had visited the shop. It is unknown if that original owner ever bought a Randall, but he sure kept the catalogs.

Grumpa
Old 12-15-2005, 04:58 PM

Does anyone know what would constitute a complete collection of cataloges?

I know the "numbered" cataloges started with #12 ( dated Dec. 15 1959 ) and skipped 13 ( supersticious maybe? ) and runs through I believe #33.

But how many other are out there?

Cracker:confused:
Old 12-15-2005, 06:05 PM

Cracker,

I think "Grumpa" has a pretty good handle on this if he wouldn't mind (Thanks, Grumpa)

Best,

Ron
Old 12-15-2005, 08:55 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Raindog
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracker
I know the "numbered" cataloges started with #12 ( dated Dec. 15 1959 ) and skipped 13 ( supersticious maybe? ) and runs through I believe #33.
#34 has been out for about 3-4 months now.

- Ronald Reagan
Old 12-15-2005, 09:20 PM

Randall Catalogs

I'll do my best Ron.

My guide is "The Randall Knife information Collection" by InterSquare.

There were two early catalogs, 1939 and 1942.

These were followed by two letter style catalogs, number 3 and 4. The first letter, catalog 3, offered the first fighting knife-destine to become the Model 1. The second letter, catalog 4, offered the fighting knife, the fighting Stiletto, and the Hunter.

Catalogs 5,6 and 7 covered the years 1945 to 1947. They offered what today we know as models 1 to 7.

Catalogs 8, 9 and 10 were published in roughly 1948, 1952 and 1953 respectively. They were all 4 inch by 9 inch map-fold style catalog.

Catalog 11, 1954-1959, was the first catalog in the style we see today; multi-page, 4 inch by 9 inch. This catalog, like those before it, is distinctive in that it carrys no issue number.

All subsequent catalog follow the same general style as catalog 11, except that they all have issue numbers. Bo Randall would occasionally vary the color of the cover.

There is not catalog 13.

For the first time, with the printing of the catalog 23 in 1974, Bo Randall removed prices from the catalog and offered a separate the price list. This gave him flexibility to change prices without changing the catalog itself.

Today, Randall distributes catalog 34.

Hope this helps. I welcome corrections and updates from those of you who have been Randall collectors longer than me.

Grumpa
Old 12-16-2005, 01:52 AM

Super job, Grumpa! Much obliged
Old 12-16-2005, 07:22 AM

Hi Grumpa!

What Ron said. Thanks very much!

Cheers!

David

Old 12-16-2005, 11:48 AM

Ditto Grumpa........thank you!!!!

Cracker
Old 12-16-2005, 01:31 PM
Enthusiast

Nice job grumpa

I have a question for the 'catalog folk' though...

I've heard that catalogs 5 thru 7 were all introduced in 1945, which doesn't make much sense, though I've heard it said several times in the past...and that the catalog covers were light blue, beige, and wood-grained respectfully, in order of issue...

Anyone have any thoughts on this order sequence?

The fourth '45 catalog that D. Beaucant spoke of, has anyone seen one? I'm thinking he probably saw a faded version of the 5th or 6th catalog and assumed that it was another version...

Other'n making mention that the 28th catalog was the first of the 'new' catalogs, I think grumpa nailed it...nicely done!

Shel
Old 12-16-2005, 05:07 PM

Thanks for the kind words folks.

Shel, thoughts are cheaper than a good Randall knife. Here are a few more.

From what I've seen and read, catalog 5 has a blue cover, catalog 6 a beige cover and catalog 7 a woodgrain cover. I don't know if I'm ready to subscribe to the theory all were done in 1945. Catalog 7 has a paragraph 8 and a special notice printed in red ink on the Description and Prices page. Catalog 6 has no paragraph 8 and the notice is printed in black ink. Catalog 5 has no paragraph 8 and no notice. These are not significant variations, but likely different printings. The question is when were they printed?

I have also seen a buff colored, 4 inch by 7 inch, tri-fold "catalog' featuring only a knife layout, a Description and Prices list, an order form, and a stapled notice featuring the Bird and Trout Knife. This could be that "4 th catalog". Purely speculation on my part.

Grumpa
Old 12-16-2005, 06:16 PM

Thanks Grumpa!

I have 11 thru 33 and often wondered what it would take to make a "complete" set of catalogs. Do you agree that the old catalog being offered on ebay (6588668631) is catalog #8 ?

Thanks again........Cracker
Old 12-16-2005, 06:57 PM

Hi Cracker,

That one up now is No. 5. No. 7 sold recently on this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

No. 8 is the 4" X 9" in yellow with the 10 cent price on the cover (1948).

Best,

Ron

Tags
blade, knife, knives, lights