MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Steel Addict

Setting Up Shop

I hope this will generate a lot of input so here goes. My wonderful, gracious, beautiful wife has agreed to purchase a small barn to set up my beginner knife shop in. It's 10'x16'. Her advice is that I should put together a list of every possible tool I might need for knife making and see if it will fit in this barn. As you can see could be a very open-ended list.

I guess the question is this. Will a 10'x16' barn accomodate a one man beginning knife maker setup?

Thanks,

Mark

Old 01-09-2010, 08:56 PM
Hall of Famer

It is going to depend a bit on whether you are going to be forging knives or making them through stock removal. It might be a little close if you are going to forge and grind in the barn but even that could be done with proper space management. If you forge in that thing make sure that you have good ventilation.

Doug Lester

Old 01-09-2010, 09:34 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Just a word of advise. GO AS LARGE AS YOU CAN AFFORD!!!

Its simply amazing how quickly you will "Grow" In all honestly, if you put some thought into the layout, you should do fine in a 10x16, Plus if you decide to put in a smithy, you can always add a shed to the side of it, kind of like a porch.

You have a good woman there thinking of your shop space!!!

God Bless
Mike

Old 01-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Steel Addict

Mike-You're right, she is a good woman. God blessed me with a wife who is perfect for me. BTW-I like your signature.

FYI-For the time being I plan on making knives by stock removal.

Thanks!

Old 01-09-2010, 10:24 PM

I work out of a 10' x 20' garage, which because of the garage door and several other doors, probably equals a 10' x 18' shop. I do stock removal. If you plan your work environment it is not too bad for one person. Two people is tight and three people are out of the question.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Skilled

A 10'x16' shop is certainly big enough for a one man shop, but this is one area where bigger is definitely better. Shops in general and knife making shops in particular tend to take on a life of their own. Your stockpile of "material" will grow...not shrink...and with every new piece of equipment, your usable shop space will get smaller. I used to sell pole-barn type machine sheds and shop buildings. The common complaint from virtually every owner was that they were happy with their purchase, but they all wished they had gone bigger. I never had a single complaint where the building was too big. Space permitting, my advice is to go as large as you can reasonably afford. I have found that it is nearly impossible to anticipate what your future needs might be. As your skills grow, and your standards get higher, your equipment WILL become painfully inadequate, and when you cave in to the urge to get that new grinder or whatever, you will run out of space because nobody ever gets rid of their old grinder (spare equipment). Human nature is what it is. If the 10'x16' is maxed out, then consider outside storage or possibly an outside work area where you can set up your forge etc. I know 10'x16' sounds big enough...but trust me...if you go bigger you will not be sorry.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Steel Addict

Re: size

It should be adequate, especially if you take the time to figure out the best layout and organize well. I gained more usuable space just by re-organizing my shop and arranging my tools more efficiently. Planning ahead is worth the effort.

Several things I would defintely do with a new shop, 1) make sure I have an adequate number of electrical outlets - then double the amount! This will make organizing and utilizing your shop much easier, 2) Get a hold of a copy of Wayne Goddard's $50 Knife Shop. A lot of his tips are great space savers as well as being very practical and useful, 3) have at least two or three waste basket/garbage cans, preferably metal, they add to efficiency, and 4) at least two fire extinguishers, one near the exit door!
Old 01-11-2010, 08:31 AM

I do strictly stock removal. My first shop , in our basement was roughly 10 X 10. I quickly outgrew that one. Then 10 X 18. The next shop was 12 X 20, it took me 4 years to outgrow that one. My latest shop , also in my basement is 15 X 40. I figure it should last me about 5 years before I have completely outgrown it. Part of the problem is more equipment, the other part is the equipment tends to get bigger. I think a 10 X 16 shop is a great start, but design it so you can add rooms to it as the need arises. There are a bunch of threads on setting up new shops. Most of which come down to, you can never have enough lighting, or wall outlets. Plan for ventilation and fire safety is absolutely required.
Steve

Old 01-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Hall of Famer

Think about the tools you will need, figure out a layout plan, then decide how little space you will need. You can work in a 10x16 barn/shed. But, when it comes time to doing different steps in the process--rough grinding, hardening/tempering, finish work, handle assembly, final finish work, sheathmaking, etc., is that that small space will get dusty and gritty fast. You'll need to figure out a dust collection system, and even then the dust and grit will get where you don't want it (finish and sheath stations). Some things, like your forge and quench tank, may need to be placed near the door. Don't forget storage space for bar steel, handle material, sheath materials, etc. Lofts are nice. If you ever might consider forging, then either plan for an outside work area under a lean-to roof (possibly added later), or plan with a concrete floor from the beginning.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Steel Addict

Mark,

I designed the layout of mine based on where I wanted the grinder/dust collector. Everything else was designed around that.

Did you decide what grinder to buy?

Old 01-12-2010, 07:56 AM
Steel Addict

Johnathan-I'll probably get a Bader since it's a "pull it out of the box and use it" deal.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Enthusiast

Build as big a shop as you can. With shop space, it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:23 PM
Steel Addict

You are off to a good start, Mike. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions on this forum.
I am also lucky to be married to a great gal who let me spend the money on a "carport" on my shed
last year to finally get my forge out of the rain! You may want to plan for space outside the barn for expansion.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Living Legend

Check out the KMG before you go completely to the Bader. I'm bias but the KMG is a hell of a machine for the price.

Think lighting. You'll want good lighting everywhere. I don't think you can get enough lights. I recommend getting a couple of those clamp on lights for those times you need that extra bit.

Also if you plan to do sheaths plan on having a clean area. It's a major pain to try and clean an area enough you can do leather work in every time.

Check out some of the wood working magazines for ideas for space saving. Some of the 50+ shop design annuals can have some major space saving ideas that can work for knife makers.

Jim

Old 01-15-2010, 01:54 PM

Just purchased today a Amish built Side Loft Barn that will become my new knifemaking shop. It is 12x16 with loft. I will also be doing the stock removal method. Plan is to insulate the shed, wire it with plenty of outlets, and put plenty of lighting in the new shop. Figuring on heating it with a electric heater. Not sure about my layout yet as far as my work benches and power tools and such. Will keep you posted though.

Tags
forge, forging, knife, knife making, knives, lights