MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-16-2001, 11:44 PM

First knife, no pic, just the story...long post, sort of...

So there I was. I had a 9" piece of 01 Flat ground stock, 3/16 X 1 3/4".

I'm an instructor at a local community college, not a metal magician but a mechanic of sorts. Never filed anything harder than aluminum. My students, however, were up to their elbows making a 'special' wrench as one of their first shop projects.

Every time we do this project there is extra tool steel left that only gets wasted. So I thought I'd try my hand at making a knife.

I read this forum for three days, bought the loveless book and cruised the net. I chose a drop point pattern I found on the net and made a print-out. Then I drew it on mylar, transfered it to aluminum and made a template from aluminum. That gave me a feel for the process and gave me an opportunity to fit the knife to my hand and liking. I used a hack saw and files only. It took about an hour.

I used two sided tape to stick the aluminum to the steel with blueing on it. I traced with an xacto knife and then a sharp scribe. I awed the extra stock off (there was alot because it was so wide) Then used a bench grinder (6" dipping in water frequently) to take the blank down to about an 1/8 or so from the line. Then I started filing and filing and filing. I've now got the blank down to the lines and am massaging out the deeper scratches. I used a file, a second cut and a smooth. I'm now using sand paper, an old broom handle and a piece of 1X1 as blocks.

So far I have about 10 hours of research and 6 hours of labour into this knife.

So, advice for any other newbies....read, think plan, plan and then do. I'm using only hand tools and common power tools. I'm going to harden, anneal and temper according to some instructions i found (knifemaking 101, i think). Apperently it can be done with an oxy-propane torch, fluid, an oven and such.

So far so good...thanks for all the advice, even though you didn't know you gave it to me....further, my students are very impressed...the teacher doesn't just teach, he can do also...
Old 11-17-2001, 01:51 AM
KandSKNIVES

Re: First knife, no pic, just the story...long post, sort of

Guest, you might as well register, you will be back. Bet you can't just make one. I think you are in for a long journey, that never ends. I hope it will be full of good friends, fond memories, and many great knives.
KEN (WWJD)
Old 11-17-2001, 10:12 AM
Bob Warner

Thats right. You may as well get registered and find out who from this forum is in your area. You will be wanting to visit them soon. Start looking around when you drive. You will spot an old tractor that is about rusted away and say to yourself; "I could make a knife out of the axel of that thing." Or you will see a water heater on the side of the road that was discarded and start getting images of a propane forge in your mind. When I had some titanuim removed from my leg, I kept it, any idea why?

You will make more than one, bet you a dollar.

Welcome....
Old 11-17-2001, 10:24 AM
Mondt

I started out just about the same way except I only had the Loveless book. I started in 1988 "dabbeling" with steel. I am a Chemist and had a lot of metalurgy under my belt so the attraction was natural it seemed to me anyway.

Well today, I don't make the most beautiful knives or the most sought after knives, but I love to make them and people buy them so I keep on going!

Sounds to me like your stuck now too!

Old 11-17-2001, 12:44 PM

I've been trying, seems the server is having growing pains

I can't get the whole register page to load (the create account button is not loading). I live in Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada. My name is John and my e-mail is jrbergen@home.com...i'll register as soon as I can as I'm findng this forum very informative...no egos here, it seems...
Old 11-17-2001, 01:32 PM
Don Cowles

Re: I've been trying, seems the server is having growing pai

Glad to have you with us, John- don't give up on the registration. The forums are in the process of being moved from one server to another, and things are a bit buggy right now. Welcome aboard!
Old 11-19-2001, 09:55 PM
Atomik77

Re: I've been trying, seems the server is having growing pai

Hey John,
Looks like we are about in the same stages of knifemaking. I also ordered the Loveless book and am only using hand tools on the O-1. I have found that a Dremel with the sanding drum is very useful for shaping the blade. You can get right up to the edges and it stays pretty sqare as long as you're careful. I'm getting ready to start the flat grind (looks like this is gonna be the hard part). It's been a lot of fun so far and i'm already planning another knife.
Good luck and keep at it,
-Ron Brewer
Old 11-20-2001, 08:09 AM
JohnRB

Flat grind..

I've started filing down the 'flat grind'. I'm not sure what 'profile' I should file the blade to. What I did was take vernier caliper with a scribe bit on it, set it at .065" and scribe two lines on the edge of the blade, just like the book said. i've got a space there where the edge is going to be that is about .055". Then I marked a line .5" from the edge, towards the spine on both sides. I've started filing down between two lines.

Trick is keeping level and flat....

John, aka guest.

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives