MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:18 PM

Greetings and questions from a newbie...

Hi all,

I just discovered this forum earlier this evening and was pretty excited to see that Mr. Ray Rogers is the Moderator/Founding Member here. I've read through his excellent tutorial on making liner-lock knives several times and am proud to say that I've been able to recently make a few working folders of my own. I've been an avid knife-nut for about 20+ years and have been collecting knives for about 15 years. Just started back into knife-making this year. (I haven't made knife in over 10 years, so I'm a little rusty to say the least). I am very much looking forward to getting to know you all better and hopefully learn some new things along the way.

Just a few quick questions:

1. I've been looking to upgrade my belt sander. I presently use a 1" x 30" sander but would like to look at getting something like 2" x 42" or perhaps even 2" x 72". I've looked at Grizzly, Burr King, Kalamazoo, etc. I was curious to know if there are other "less expensive" models out there? I would like to try to keep the cost down to a few hundred dollars if possible.

2. I am thinking about getting a band-saw, but wasn't sure what model/type to get exactly. I need something that can cut through G-10, Micarta, as well as hardwoods, and other tough materials. (If it could cut through steel, that would be a plus too). I am presently using a scroll saw, which is woefully slow and not very durable. What would you suggest?

I appreciate any insight and help.

Take care,

Michael
Old 11-26-2012, 09:15 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Michael,

Welcome to the forum! You'll have to show us some of those folders sometime.

1. The Grizzly is the least expensive 2x72" that is commercially built. I would strongly recommend a 2x72" over any other size. If you are good at building things there are plans available to build your own grinder. Lots of guys have done that. Depending on you're scrounging abilities you can probably get that done under $500.

2. The most all around useful bandsaw that most of us have is the little 4x7" metal cutting saw from Harbor Freight or Grizzly. These saws will cut the metals we use and I use mine to cut Micarta and G-10 and carbon fiber. I wouldn't use it to cut wood though, that would be very messy and it would require a different blade. You could get away with cutting thin wood, I think, but a block of wood probably wouldn't work out very well......

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 11-26-2012, 09:57 AM
Hall of Famer

Take a look at the Coote and Pheer grinders. The Coote you will have to get your own motor for, but that's the same for some of your other top end grinders and they're not that hard to mount. It's probably the most flexable of the low end two wheel grinders. Pheer comes with a variable speed motor.

Whatever grinder you get, stay away from the discount belts. They might cost half as much but they will only cut half as well and last a quarter as long. You will go through 2 or three discount belt for every quality belt. I use Norton Norzon Plus and 3M micron and there are other good belts out there.

Doug

Old 11-26-2012, 06:18 PM

Thank you for the warm welcome and also for the suggestions, gentlemen. (I'll see if I can get some pictures uploaded sometime. I just finished a fix-bladed knife, and am about 75% done with the folder).

I am going to do some research on the information provided and see what I can do. I like the simplicity of the Pheer and Coote models. I've also seen a two-wheeled vertical Kalamazoo grinder that seems similar to these models.

Again, I appreciate all your help!

Take care,

Michael
Old 11-26-2012, 07:00 PM
Hall of Famer

Welcome Michael

Old 11-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Skilled

You will never be sorry to get a 2X72. That is good advice now and always. Welcome in and send some pictures of what you have done.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Steel Addict

Welcome man!!!! I can't wait to see some pics!

Tags
advice, back, bee, blade, block, building, collecting, coote, film, folder, knife, knives, lock, made, make, making, man, materials, micarta, mount, newbie, steel, tutorial, wood