MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Hand files from Home Depot (Husky Brand)

Thought I would pass this along....a couple of months ago, I was wondering around Home Depot, and noticed that all of the "Husky" brand files had a "Guaranteed Forever" on them. I asked the sales person if there were any "gotchas" on the warranty, and they said "No!"

Anyway, I spent $11 on a set of files, just to see how they held up. (considering I pay about $10 each in boxes of 12 for Nicholson files from Enco) Well, over the past couple of months they have held up about on par with Nicholson files, but cutting/cleaning up shoulders on forged hunters takes it toll.

This morning I walked into Home Depot with 3 files that the teeth were flat worn out on....and I walked out with threee new files...no questions asked! If its gona be like that, then its a no brainer to buy Husky brand files at Home Depot! Pay once, and new files forever!

I have to wonder if every Home Depot store would be as easy and hassle free as it was for me....but hey, it worked for me!!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 02-05-2015, 01:52 PM
Skilled

Good to know Ed. New Nicholson files aren't very good these days. Don't last long at all.

I bought some 'Do It Best' brand files from my local hardware store. They had the same warranty. The downside is, the files were garbage and didn't cut well at all even new, and then wore it in a week or two.

I'll give the Husky brand a try. Thanks for the tip.

You have nothing to fear but fear itself...........and bears.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:55 PM
Skilled

Craftsmen use to guarantee there carpenters belts for life, we put that guarantee to the test with a new pair every few weeks and a few years later it changed to hand tools only. I'm sure it will work fine until some joker starts replacing a few a week.

Side note, the same guarantee applies with harbor freight. I use up a set of chainsaw files on the spines of a few knives and i get a new set without any hassles
Old 02-05-2015, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Sears went under here in Great Falls....and even before that, the only tools they would repace were ones that specifically had "lifetime warranty" actually ON the tool. And the kicker was when they did replace a tool, it was some "rebuilt" thing, that might or might not be the same model/tool you purchased.

Last time I took a 1/2 ratchet to Sears for replacement, the guy reached under the counter, and brought out a "replacement" that was all rusted up and wasn't even the same style/type of ratchet. After demanding to see a manager, I was told that if I wanted a replacement, it was the rusty ratchet, or nothing. That was the last time I purchased a tool of any kind from Sears.

Around here, Ace Hardware and Kmart are carrying "craftsman" tools...and if I were to buy a craftsman tool, it would be at my local Ace Hardware. I've gotten to know everyone there, and would trust them to make the warranty good.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 02-05-2015, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

And that explains why Sears is quickly going out of business.

Ironically, they are the original "online" sales company but can no longer figure out how to do online sales competitively.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:15 AM
Steel Addict

Ed, back in the late 70's early 80's I was doing house framing. We were building a lot of houses with steep pitches on the roof.
There was a shoe company, they are out of business now days, and I can't think of the name. Anyway they had a shoe that had super soft sole. They were guaranteed, that the sole and the shoe would not tear up.
The sole was so good I could walk a 12/12 roof pitch with sawdust on the plywood and never have to worry about slipping. The problem was the shoe's sole was glued onto the shoe instead of being sewn on.
The steep pitches and the strain of taking a sheet of decking and turning and throwing it down, quickly took its toll on the glued on sole and I could rip the soles off of them about once a month. I think the best I ever got out of the sole's was two months.
After a year of bring my shoes back and getting free replacements, the salesman tells me I might want to think about another shoe as the company was discontinuing this line!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ! Oh, well I rode the pony as long as I could! The soles on those shoes were made of the same thing as the belt cleaners we use nowdays.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-belt-...&mktRedirect=y

So maybe I will ride the HD pony for a while. You know I think that Lowes has the same guarantee on their Kobalt files. May half to check out some of their files too.

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft
Old 02-06-2015, 08:51 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Craft View Post
The sole was so good I could walk a 12/12 roof pitch with sawdust on the plywood and never have to worry about slipping. ...
Uhhhh........not to derail this, but I have to call B.S. here. From high school until I started making knives, I was a framer exclusively. I was a foreman of several crews along the way and I've been on a lot of roofs and known a lot of roofers, PROS that had footing like mountain goats.

In all that time, I have NEVER seen ANYONE even shingle a 12/12 roof without roof jacks and toe boards, let alone anyone walk on plywood or osb. Then to throw the dust in there, oh man.....are you sure you aren't superman and were really hovering over the roof?

Even the surest footed guys aren't going to walk a 6 pitch roof with sawdust on it. C'mon C-Craft, who are you trying to fool?

I hope this post was taken in jest, note all the smileys. But I do have a hard time believing you could walk a 12/12 with sawdust on it.

You have nothing to fear but fear itself...........and bears.

Tags
at home, back, belts, brand, building, chainsaw, cleaning, craftsman, easy, files, flat, forged, hand, hardware, home, how to, knives, made, make, ore, post, problem, store, tools