MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 10-21-2004, 12:58 PM
Enthusiast

Talking Anyone else have a messy shop?

My grandfather built this building originally as a horse stable for my mom in the early 50's.
He used wood from a boxcar for the structure.
In 96 we started to renovate and then built the forge in 97. Ended up leaving some of the original walls intact and added rough-cut board siding to the outside.
Last year we got a new 100 amp elec service installed.
The woodstove is late 19th C and burns 24" logs.

There is more to the shop than these photos. Another part is a 12x18 lean-to and a 18x14 lean-to addition is planned (need room for a power hammer ). Am building workbench space for the drill, grizz grinder, chop saw etc...

Here's a photo of my set-up while demo'ing at a local festival.
Had brochures and bumper stickers for our blacksmith group, the NRA and GW. Most disappeared by the end of the day.

Hey! How'd that photo get in here :confused:

When you work in there it doesn't look bad but sure is messy in a photo. LOL

Allen

Last edited by Grundsau; 10-21-2004 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-21-2004, 02:13 PM
Skilled

Yeah, mine gets messy. When I start to loose things I just put down, that time to clean up. I'm getting better at keeping it organised though.
I have the same 3 pieces of Grizzley equipment.

Jeremy

Old 10-21-2004, 02:21 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

A few guys, like myself, have shop tours on our websites that show impecably clean shops. Mine was photographed just after I built it and before any knife making had ever been done in it. I expect that's true for most any other shop that looks clean. If you actually do any work in your shop, it will get messy. If you do a lot of work in your shop, it will probably stay messy.....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 10-21-2004, 04:45 PM
Skilled

My shop is so clean you could near eat off the floor.

Old 10-22-2004, 12:48 PM
Enthusiast

I dont have near the fun toys in my 2 car garadge and I have a PATH from the door to the work bench. Spent 500$ to build shelf's and it is still a mess. My wife refuses to come in as something might reach out from somewhere and get her....... right! (couldn't get that lucky) LOLOLOL!!! Just kidding!
Like the flags and bumper sticker also
Old 10-22-2004, 04:20 PM

My shop is not a total mess...at least I don't think so (try asking my wife).

There are some areas, which are harder hit than others...My main workbench (where I do all of my embellishment work) is starting to look rather similar to a photograph I've seen of Lloyd Hale's workbench (Lloyd posted it some time ago and it's been floating around these forums for awhile now). I can always rationalize the condition of my bench by looking at that photo. I figure if it's good enough for Lloyd it's good enough for me.

Here's the (infamous) photo of Lloyd's bench (Lloyd, I hope you don't mind...I do this only with the deepest respect).

Now that is what I envision as the image of a true "working" workbench!!!

Hey Ray, when you posted that photo yesterday in the Folding Knife forum of the dial indicator setup on your drill press (which BTW I thought was a very cool idea...so simple!) http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=24852, one of the first things that struck me when I saw all that dust on and around your press was, "that can't be in Ray's shop!" ...I still have the photos of your absolutely spotless shop fresh in my mind (from your teriffic Shop Tour on your website). Now the truth comes out...the photos were staged!!!

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Old 10-22-2004, 06:26 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Dennis,

Heck, the drill press was relatively clean in that pic! No, the photos weren't staged. Look back two or three posts in this thread to see my last entry which explains my views on shop cleanliness. With the possible exception of George Tichbourne's shop, I still stand by what I said: there are some exceptions but, as a rule, if you spend more time making knives than cleaning your shop, your shop is probably at least a little dirty. Personally, I'm an organized pig and wouldn't be comfortable in a spotless shop .....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 10-22-2004, 10:08 PM

Quote:
No, the photos weren't staged. Look back two or three posts in this thread to see my last entry which explains my views on shop cleanliness.

Ray-

My apologies for having apparently been much too subtle with my little joke. You definitely read this the wrong way! I never for a moment meant for you to take me seriously. I assure you that I had read every word of your previous response, and my comment about the photos being staged was simply a joking reference to your having taken the photos before the shop had a chance to get "broken in" properly.

Sorry again for any misunderstanding....

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Old 10-23-2004, 08:47 AM
Skilled

Anybody see the pictures of Allen Elishewitzs shop in the Dec. issue of Knives Illistrated. It looks like a show room. It seem like he does more cleaning than knife making.

Jeremy

Old 10-23-2004, 11:04 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Krammes
Anybody see the pictures of Allen Elishewitzs shop in the Dec. issue of Knives Illistrated. It looks like a show room. It seem like he does more cleaning than knife making.

Jeremy
Jeremy, I thought the same thing, it didn't look like anything more than sales were made in that room! But for the caliber of work he does, I guess clean shop translates to clean knifes.

NT Yard'n Ape McKay

Manu Forti

With a Strong Hand
Old 10-24-2004, 05:57 PM
Living Legend

My workshop pictures can be seen on my website - http://www.jcbknives.com

I have since accumulated even more equipment. On the main benches, the grinder / drill press / equipment tray / bandsaw setup is getting so cramped, it has to be arranged with a 1/2 back, 1/2 forward arrangement just to get enough elbow room between the machines. For safety, only one machine can be turned on at once. The forge is smack in the middle of the room.

After all, its a glorified garden shed with lighting... I still have to store all my gardening equipment in there too, it all gets rolled out when I'm in the shop.

Eating off the floor ? I wouldn't dare !! There are enough dead bugs on the floor to tell me its all pretty noxious. Jason.

(Matthew 10.16)
Old 10-24-2004, 08:59 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cutter
Eating off the floor ? I wouldn't dare !! There are enough dead bugs on the floor to tell me its all pretty noxious. Jason.
Hey, Dead Bugs are an excellent source of protein!

NT Yard'n Ape McKay

Manu Forti

With a Strong Hand
Old 10-25-2004, 02:03 AM
Registered

A tidy shop is a sign of a disturbed mind
Old 10-25-2004, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

Jason thinks his shop is messy? Because the bugs are dead?? Jason's shop looks like a brochure for OSHA safety!

Bugs are not too much of a problem in my place, although I have had some problems with carpenter ants. The place is infested with anoles (small lizards - like cameleons & can change colors) and they keep the walking bugs down. Flying bugs - mainly mosquitos - are another problem. I fire up the bug zapper and just watch the sparks fly! 'Course, I have to be careful to knock the sawdust out of it first.

And as for Allen's shop, that is a really cool place! But messy? Where are the piles of sawdust under the Griz grinder? The metal shavings under the drill press? When I get truely disgusted with my place, I use the leaf blower to clean it out.

Furthermore, why isn't your shop the designated storage area for everything you wife doesn't want in the house? The giant plastic Halloween light-up pumpkin, the old plastic Christmas tree that-we-don't-use-but-can't-throw-away-because-her-parents-gave-it-to-us (Yes, that's all one word and also applies to the giant chess set, the broken table, etc.), the boxes marked "clothes that don't fit", the box of photographs of the children of obscure relatives that were sent in order to solicit money for graduation, the set of deer horns - and other manly decorations - that used to adorn the walls of the house (until that ring went on her finger)? Where's the bucket of small pieces of wood too nice to throw away, but not big enough to use? The unfinished projects from 5 years back carefully hidden behind stacks of odd boards of various sizes? The old refridgerator without Freon?

Old 10-25-2004, 12:12 PM
Enthusiast

LOL, those are some great responses.
TexasJack, my grizz is too new but I've got lots of shavings at the drill press and much scale by the anvil. Have found more uses for that grinder other than grinding blades and it works well with a 8" twisted wire wheel on the side arbor.
We have another storage spot for "junk" that will be getting cleaned out this winter once the cold slows down the snakes a bit.
I do have a 79 CJ-5 from 2 years ago that needs work and never got around to fixing it up... That's in there too.

Here's another angle on the forge.
Originally the roof was almost flat.
We use the one side for senior class portraits (our main business) and I made that stone bench out of one stone. The chimney has an issue right now and we have been waiting for our "mason" to come back and finish drying it in.
Looks more and more like I'll be doing it myself.

Does anyone have a good lead on soldering copper flashing :confused:

Allen

Last edited by Grundsau; 10-25-2004 at 12:19 PM.

Tags
folding knife, forge, forging, knife, knife making, knives