MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 11-26-2004, 10:31 PM
Skilled

Send a message via MSN to chrisinbeav Send a message via Yahoo to chrisinbeav
Skiddish about knife expos...

Lately I have been contemplating attending and displaying or selling some of my knives at one of the big knife shows, like the one coming up in late January. Here's the part that kind of freaks me out. I know that these events are where a lot of the "big dogs" go. They are some of the main reasons people attend. Not to see a newbie who has only been doing this for a year, like me. Or, is that not really the case? Are the type of exhibitors that diverse? Honestly, I don't really know what to expect. I've only been to two local gun and knife shows. Not a whole lot of custom knife makers there. So anyways, should I attend the big shows to observe and chat, or would it be worth while to show some of my knives?

Chris Nilluka
Old 11-27-2004, 07:29 AM
Skilled

Most of the big shows are booked months ahead of time so now is the time to begin planning.

I don't see shows as a place to sell knives but they are a great place to meet and greet the public. The connections you make can be invaluable even if you don't sell a single knife, I seldom sell more than one or two knives at a show because I am talking so much.

The secondary reason to attend shows is to learn from other makers, there you can handle their knives and they can handle yours and offer tips.

Old 11-27-2004, 09:24 AM
Skilled

So would it probably be in my best interest to just bring a couple knives with me to show other makers and maybe get some sort of critique? Then I can worry about actually attempting to sell or show knives later, like much later. I was thinking I would at least want a few years of experience under my belt.

Chris Nilluka
Old 11-27-2004, 04:52 PM
Skilled

Nothing wrong with jumping right in, it won't do any harm but having a table to man really cuts down your wandering around time and visiting time. Many times I have cursed myself for having a table instead of just "doing" the show.

Old 11-27-2004, 06:16 PM
Enthusiast

If you want to sell knives....put yourself in a situation where people go to buy knives.

That, my friend, is a knife show.

My first big show was the NY Knife Show. Yes, the BIG DOGS were all there. I was new, but I did clean work and made nice sheaths, and I had a positive attitude that I would sell knives. I didn't try to price my knives like the BIG DOGS because I wasn't one of them.

The show promoter, Paul Tausig, gave me some valuable advice that I followed to a tee. I stayed on my feet at my table, smiled, and greeted everyone that came by my table. I engaged them in small talk and found that often we had something in common that led to more conversation, and often a sale. I brought 30 knives and people bought knives from me. I made enough to pay my expenses, my table fee, and put down a deposit for the next years show, and still take home a reasonable amount.

My reason for being at the show was to sell knives.... period. Some people made offers on knives that were below my sticker price. If the offers was were really low, I bargained until we agreed on a price and then I sold them the knife. Some makers at the show would not deal at all. They were the ones putting their knives back in their bags at the end of the show.

I stayed at my table the whole show except for a few walkarounds to see what other makers were making. I didn't get into the conversation pits that some makers were in because I didn't know any of them. As I later found out, they were telling sea stories and complaining about what a lousy show it was.

My advice? Do the big show. Take your best stuff. Sell knives. Have fun.

Al P.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:05 PM
Steel Addict

Chris,

I'd say jump in and do a knife show! You make some nice knives with some really knock-out handles! Get a table, take some knives and go get your name/knives out there for people to see.

One of the local, Big Dog, makers once told me to go to the show and don't plan on selling any knives. Plan on meeting and greeting everyone to get your name out there in the buyers minds. You will probably sell some knives, but that is not the primary point for the first show. That will just be gravy on a really good marketing opportunity. The maker that told me that has been a full-time maker for a while now, so take it for what it's worth.

I don't think you'll have any problems getting the buyers attention with your knives.

- Mike

Old 11-30-2004, 03:46 PM
Enthusiast

Chris,

Yep, knife shows are a good place to sell and buy those knives, yet, there are those potential customers that feel every bit as uncomfortable being in those shows as there are makers going to them. With the advent of the internet, this has expanded the market for the new maker to sell his wares. There are a lot of handmade knives being sold on ebay. If you don't like ebay, then Chris Crawford has started a website that allows makers to display just what they want to on their own personal website, either for sale or just to show. You might check him out at blademakers.com---I think I'm going that way myself after the first of the year--Dan

Old 11-30-2004, 11:52 PM
Skilled

As far as a website goes... I'm going to be up and running here in probably a few days. Domain name is registered, I should have my IP address tomorrow, the website is on a friends server doing some testing, so I'm almost there. I would like all of you on the Knife Network to be the first ones to check it out! I'll let you all know when it's up and running.

At this time it doesn't look like I'll be able to goto the Knife Expo in Reno but the one in April in Eugene... I'll be there!

Chris Nilluka
Old 12-01-2004, 03:01 PM

Hey Chris, where are you at in Oregon? I'm in Southern Oregon in Jacksonville. I
remember doing my first knife show in 1993 and I was pretty nervous. I think you'll
find that some of those "big dogs" are the nicest people and you can learn a lot from
them.

If you get a table, you'll be around other knifemakers all day long and get to handle their
knives and ask questions. It will take your knifemaking to another level. I made knives
for 6 years before I did a show and got involved in a knife club. I wish I had done it
sooner as it would have saved me a lot of wasted time.

Like others have said, don't plan on selling any knives and look at it as an opportunity
to learn, make contacts and get your name out there. If you sell a knife it's an added
bonus.

Paul
Old 12-02-2004, 07:17 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
Nice to see you here, Paul! Welcome aboard!

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 12-02-2004, 07:27 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSarganis
Hey Chris, where are you at in Oregon? Paul
I live up here in Beaverton.

Thank you all for the great input and confidence building. I hope that I might be able to meet some of you at the show in April.

And now, hi-ho... hi-ho... it's off to work I go!

Chris Nilluka
Old 12-02-2004, 04:16 PM

Thanks Don.

Chris, you're way north of me. I'll probably make my way up for the April show.
I've never been. I hear a lot of good things about it.

Paul

Tags
knife, knives