MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:30 PM

Did I make a mistake?

Hi folks of course as you guessed I am new here and new to knife making. I have always been quit fond of the blade and for years have been wanting to get started crafting them on my own. Which leads me to my question. I had planned on starting with a kit you know something easy and in haste I bought a "Damascus" blade from eBay and now I question that.

-Dave

Old 04-26-2012, 08:16 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Welcome Dave! Starting with damascus is not really the easiest thing to do. You could put it aside for a while until you have a few others under your belt. Considering that the blade you have also has file work on the handle area putting it aside might be wise. To finish this knife, you will need to attach and shape some handle material the same as you would for any other knife. In addition though, you'll have to do that without messing up the file work while keeping the file work clear of glue. Once the handle is finished, you'll need to repair the etch on the file work which will get sanded off in the process of adding the handle. This will require some ferric chloride and some patience. None of this is terribly difficult really but at your stage of the game it will seem difficult and it is an unnecessary complication ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 04-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Steel Addict

Put me down for x2 everything he said. Plus, if you want to start by just adding handles and not making the entire blade (which is fine, but I would suggest giving the blade a go at some point, if for nothing else than to appreciate the skill it takes to do one by hand) but there are many sites out there you can buy ready to go blades, knifekits.com usaknifemaker.com and the list goes on. I would look there before going the ebay route, plus alot of those sites have all the neccesary materials needed to make blades, handles, and more.... plus alot of other cool stuff you probably end up buying
Old 04-26-2012, 07:33 PM

Cool thanks guys. I do plan to go the make my own blade route mainly using the stock removal method at least to get started. I had planned on starting with a kit but saw this and thought it was a good deal for under $30 and thought hey why not lol. I do have a simple question with the file work I have seen knives where it looks as if the file work was filled in at the handle would that be the case? If so what would you fill it with clear epoxy? I should get the blade by Monday as I had already ordered it before asking ya'll, perhaps I will take your advice and order a more "simple" blade for my first.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:51 PM

Filework can be filled with epoxy - clear or colored according to your tastes. But, that doesn't save you from having to repair the sanded etching. And, filling the filework is only a good idea if you plan on putting the knife in a display case. Try to use it for much and the filling will pop out sooner or later.

Do as Wynn suggested and check out knifekits.com Most knife supply places have kit blades and the other supplies you need but knifekits probably has the best website for that sort of thing. Try to get a catalog from as many knife suppliers as you can find - that is the fastest way to see what knife makers actually use and learn what each tool/compound/material etc is used for and how to use it.

There's nothing wrong with the blade you have, you just need a little experience with the basics before you tackle it ...

Old 05-01-2012, 07:09 AM

Cool, Thanks again for the help guys it is much appreciated. I just got the blade in the mail this morning I may just go ahead and take your advise Ray and wait on this one. Wynn I totally agree with making my own blade just wanted to do the first one like this. I have not ever made a knife before and thought this may be a good place to start.

Thanks
-Dave
Old 05-01-2012, 08:09 AM

Maybe as many as half of all knife makers start with kit blades, I know I did. It's a great way to get started without being totally overwhelmed. Get a nice stainless blade and some handle material and get started ...

Tags
advice, art, blade, damascus, handle, kit, knife, knife making, knifekits.com, knives, material, materials, supplies, supply