MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 08-06-2004, 10:37 PM
Skilled

The future of the Guild

I'm an interested observer here that became disenchanted with the Guild in 1975 and dropped out.... My gripe was members who really wasn't true custom knifemakers having a vote in the proceedings.... I also didn't feel that Part time Makers should have any part in controlling the Guilds destiny.... This was just my views and I felt it was better if I just walked away.... I have never regretted leaving the Guild, although I did very much miss the long tech talks and seeing old Friends.... My question is this.... I've heard the Guild is Dying .. Can some strong people throw out those that don't belong and start over.??
The Guild should survive as a Strong Force.. I just keep hearing that something or some people are killing a good thing......

Last edited by Lloyd Hale; 08-06-2004 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:24 AM
Skilled

It is a tough call, how do you balance the needs and desires of widely divergent interests in one umbrella organization?

In our community we have full time makers (a minority), part time members (the majority) and a number of individuals who today are part time but want to go full time someday. Sounds simple enough so far but then we have to break down the membership on artistic lines, makers of hunting and fishing knives, art knife makers, collectable makers, blade smiths, stock removal, artists (more dedicated scrim or engraving than actual knifemaking) and it goes on and on.

Unless you create a guild for each segment of the trade to work on the interests of that one small group you will not address the special needs and desires of everyone within the group. If you do segment the trade, how are you going to get enough makers together to put on a show that will attract the interest of the public? The main attraction of the big show is that it is large and diverse.

I belong to the Canadian Knifemakers Guild and we have the same problems. As a full time maker running a retail knife store as well I don't have the time or inclination to run for a seat on the board of directors where I can influence the direction of that guild so I grit my teeth an put up with an organization that promotes our annual show by putting some ads in magazines that are almost impossible to find on the newstands in our country and put up two roadside billboards promoting the show (in a city or 5 million) but do no local radio or print advertising at all.

I expect that unless I am willing to do something myself I get the representation I deserve.

Tags
art knife, blade, knife, knives