MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 08-02-2004, 02:15 PM
Enthusiast

Lloyd Hale Art Knife

I have a new knife from Lloyd Hale, and he and I wanted some honest (even if brutal) feedback on the handle design with it's inlays and steel curlycues.
[/SIZE]
Old 08-02-2004, 03:29 PM
Skilled

Love the shape, and the inlays. 8o
Old 08-02-2004, 03:48 PM

Tell Lloyd to keep at it...
It's clear he's got talent, I think in time he'll get the hang of it...

, ,

Un-friggin'-believable!!!!

What a combo...
Fantastic Imagination...and the world class skills to pull it off.

This is such a cool piece. Inlays are wonderful,...so abstract, and yet it all just works together so well.

I really dig the way the tip of the blade rests against the curly cue...Is the curl notched to accomodate the blade, or is it just leaning against it. Really inspired...

Geez, but I sure do love Lloyd's work!!!

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Old 08-02-2004, 04:27 PM
Skilled

Art Deco Folder

OK, here's what happened.... Don Guild had a knife on order and when it came his turn on the work bench, I asked him if he had anything specific in mind ... He asked if I had ever done Art Deco ...??? and I said wasn't He the Guy that played Norton on the old Honey Mooners..?? He said no--- that was Art Carney...... Well shut my mouth..... So Don proceeded to educate me on the history of Art Deco...... and this is what the two of us came up with..... There's Malachite, Pearl, synthetic Coral, and sterling silver set in a Black Matrix....there's a couple more pictures of it showing the inside and a close up of the butt end.... Don Guild played a big part in this , I'm just the one that had to get his hands dirty..... The tip of the blade floats in between a cut in the tip of the curly cue...
it doesn't acually touch anything... there's about a 1/4 inch safty area between the edge of the blade and the inner spine of the spring.....another picture shows this... thanks Guys....

Last edited by Lloyd Hale; 08-02-2004 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:23 PM
Master

I think that's one of the most original, and best executed, folders I have ever seen. But then, I'm a big fan of Deco. I made my wife come look at it, as I often do when someone posts something nifty. This one is the first knife that's ever gotten a "Wow!" out of her.

Keep that creativity rolling, guys!
Old 08-02-2004, 07:50 PM
Hall of Famer

Way Cool Lloyd! It's a "festive" look to me.

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 08-02-2004, 08:39 PM

Well Lloyd Hale you done it again?..!

I believe they, the natives of Tennessee, would say " S--t fire?that's one of the d---dest folding knives I've ever took a look at. Well, that thing will fit right here in my bib pocket. Shucks it even has a Coon D--k thingy on the end good for cleaning my tooth."

All jokes aside, really a great piece of work. It is my hope that folks out there understand the time and energy you put into this folder. REMEMBER?there are two sides to a folder. Then you have to make it work.

Folks, this is one guy that has paid his dues over and over again?and continues to amaze with real pieces of art. I have wondered for years, what ideas must be creeping around in Lloyd's gray matter!

Beautiful work?I want more.

Thanks Lloyd
Jim
Old 08-02-2004, 10:19 PM
Steel Addict

I would be scared to carry that in my pocket but it would look nice on the display shelf. Being an Arizonan I like the inlay work. The curlies are unique. I'd like to see it in person......How about a passaround....who's in ?? Don responds-
Old 08-03-2004, 12:36 AM
Skilled

Additional Photos..

I was lucky enough to see a few more "looks" of Don's new folder that Lloyd recently completed for him.. What a fantastic knife. I wish I could see it in person, but was happy enough to see the photos ..these are being posted by request of both Lloyd and Don..
Here's a side view..

A close up of the inlay's

And the file work...

Just for fun and for reference, here's a similar design that Lloyd did for Don several months ago.. I remember this was one of Dennis's favorite knives at the time.. Enjoy..

Best Regards, Rich
Old 08-03-2004, 01:15 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to metalking00
Nicely done,
but Im afraid I just cant agree wih everyone else here. I think it must've taken tremendous skill and patience to accomplish it, but Im really not into making knives "beautiful". Make them cut, and make them sturdy. Im a fan of the Ka-Bar style, "it cuts like a champion, and will last forever"

I guess what I really dont like about deco knives, is that Id feel bad losing them, or breaking them.

To each their own; to me.... all I want

good job otherwise though
Old 08-03-2004, 01:39 PM

Thanks a lot Rich...Now you've gone and done it.

When photos of that knife were first posted, I obsessed over it for days.
Now you got me going all over again...Drool, drool...

THANKS!

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Old 08-03-2004, 03:17 PM
Skilled

File work

On the bottom picture I'll explain what you are looking at there.... You are looking inside the knife's handle at the Locking bar and the spring... everything left of center is the Locking bar,, everything right of center is the spring... the Curly Cue starts at the end of the Hale mark... I don't make my folders like most folks.. over the years through trial and error I've developed my own way of doing it..... it just seems smoother to me...

Old 08-03-2004, 09:08 PM

Lloyd-

I bet if I were to go back a number of months to the original posting of these photos by our good friend Mr. Rich Slaughter, I'd probably find that I said the same exact thing as I now say...
The filework, curlycue's, abalone inlays, etc, like all of your embellishment work, are absolutely incredible,...you're in another whole class by yourself...Heck, over the years, you've almost single-handedly redefined much of how we think of knife embellishment...

But man, those gold lip "fans" are just the "cats meow!!!" Gotta love 'em!!!

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Last edited by Osprey Guy; 08-03-2004 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:54 PM
Skilled

Chicago knife show

Thanks for the kind words Dennis... I will exhibit my work for the first time in 25 years at Ed Wormsers show this September...I really look forward to meeting a bunch of you guys there.... Something very few know is, when I started creating Mr. Frazier's Knife collection for him back in 1981 some of his requirements were, No one could see what I was making for him and I couldn't look at other knifemakers work ... this way it insured his knife collection would be unique in it's content...... I was always assured that some day my work would be shown .. but now I'm not so sure...... It looks like the Brits won out.... I don't think they like American custom knives.....

Old 08-03-2004, 10:55 PM

I'll be at the Chicago Show, once again helping out my good friend Kelly Carlson.
(It helps that my sister lives in Chicago...free room and board!).

Can't wait to meet you Lloyd, and see your knives up close and personal...

BTW- Judging from the list of attendees, a veritable who's who of the custom knife world, I have a feeling this is destined to absolutely become one of the most important annual knife shows.

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!

Tags
art knife, blade, knife, knives