MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:48 PM
Registered

graver sharpening

Good evening, this site seems to have a lot of information to help with just about everything. i have been searching but unable to find someone in my area that can properly sharpen a graver, does anyone here offer that service or know of a reputable company that offers said service? i need to have my square graver sharpened, i was thinking of maybe a 120 degree perhaps or just a 90 (any thoughts on that). thank you for your help.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:28 AM
Skilled

You can do it yourself with a Crocker jig, or there are others. Why would you want a 90?? Most work is done with a 45? to 50? or just a tad more. gravers go dull too fast to be sending them out for re-sharpening. Buy, rent, or borrow Lynton McKenzies' DVD's. He shows how to work with just the basics, and how to sharpen without a professional jig.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Registered

thanks for the quick response, i read here http://www.engravingschool.com/priva...oint-Intro.htm and they said something about the angles of 110 to 120 on the face of the graver. could i re-create this graver profile with a crocker jig? even though i have been wanting to do engraving since i was very young i am just now looking into it as a possible career. once again, thanks for the info.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Skilled

I really don't know. I work hammer and chisle and use a 45? face, give or take a tad. Some like a 50?+. Look it up and see. There are better, however more expensive set ups to sharpen with. The Crocker is a cheap way to go, but if working on a professional level, may take too much time. I am pretty much amateur grade, and work in 18th c. styles.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:04 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBE View Post
You can do it yourself with a Crocker jig, or there are others. Why would you want a 90?? Most work is done with a 45? to 50? or just a tad more. gravers go dull too fast to be sending them out for re-sharpening. Buy, rent, or borrow Lynton McKenzies' DVD's. He shows how to work with just the basics, and how to sharpen without a professional jig.
45???? Are you sure???? That'd be like working with a knife tool? Personally, I use a 90? for straight line work as it's easier to control than a wider tool and that way you don't get the line wandering in and out as you try to control the depth. My other main graver is a 115? which I use for just about everything else.

Personally, I'd forget about the Crocker. In recent years it's been way superseded by both the GRS sharpening system http://www.grstools.com/tool-sharpen...le-system.html which is very versatile or the simpler, template system that Lindsay uses www.airgraver.com/sharpening.htm

Sharpening is really important, get it wrong and you'll always struggle.

Tags
forge, hammer, jig, knife, sharpening