MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:04 PM

My new belt grinder build

This is like a hybrid design between the KMG, the Bader and my last design using CNC plasma cut structural parts. It weighs 76 lbs as is with no motor and is super rigid. The frame is all welded 1/4" plate. I wanted to keep this one myself but a dentist had to have it so I sold it. I have two more welded up and will assemble this week.

I was going to make a KMG clone but decided it would be crappy to copy another commercially made design to sell, so I made my own. I ordered a new CNC Haas mill to make them on and I should have it set up in about a month and can go into production.

I cant really offer to make them in any quantity until the mill comes in but I do have hundreds of wheels turned for home builders of grinders.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grider sm4.jpg (369.7 KB, 373 views)
Old 08-20-2013, 01:29 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Clean design. and nicely put together. The only thing I would recommend is using heavier material. I think what you'll find with 1/4" is that you'll get a lot of vibration, and "flex", especially on the platen and work rest IF it's made from 1/4" stock.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 08-20-2013, 03:37 PM
Enthusiast

Location: I was born and raised in Spanish Fork, Utah. I now live between Manti and Ephraim, Utah. We built a home here about 10 year ago.
I agree with the heavier base. I also recommend cutting a piece of rubber matting, like you stand on when working of a lathe, and bolt the machine down with the rubber sandwiched between the base and the table. I tighten it a bunch and in my own mind, I think it also helps to reduce vibration and harmonic vibration.

What is your opinion of springing the tension from the back side from a welded arm down to the bottom of the table instead of underspringing?

I wish you well, on a very nice design.
Old 08-22-2013, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Just my personal opinion, but in my experience, a compression spring always works much better for belt tensioning then a tension spring. I suppose a tension spring could be made to "sorta" work, but it would require the attachment point for the tension spring on the idler arm to be longer then the forward portion that holds the idler/tracking wheel.....which isn't practical in most applications. It's just a far weaker tensioning system then a compression spring.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 08-23-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Caffrey View Post
Clean design. and nicely put together. The only thing I would recommend is using heavier material. I think what you'll find with 1/4" is that you'll get a lot of vibration, and "flex", especially on the platen and work rest IF it's made from 1/4" stock.
The platen side plate is 3/8" plate and the arm is solid bar stock. The frame's 1/4" plate sides, front, back, bottom and top are all welded to make a 3" thick member. One side is on tension when stressed and the other in compression. At 3" apart it is a very rigid frame to hold the tooling arm.

You are correct about the tool rest and platen flexing under enough pressure, but it takes a lot to flex them. I will upgrade these two parts to 3/8" plate on my next build.

Haas is taking longer to deliver my new mill than I hoped for. Once it is running I will make a lot of parts for these and hopefully get them into production.

I have a ton of wheels made all of the time available for anyone who needs them, the web site is on the side of the grinder picture.

Thanks for all of the feedback.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:55 PM
Registered

contact wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
This is like a hybrid design between the KMG, the Bader and my last design using CNC plasma cut structural parts. It weighs 76 lbs as is with no motor and is super rigid. The frame is all welded 1/4" plate. I wanted to keep this one myself but a dentist had to have it so I sold it. I have two more welded up and will assemble this week.

I was going to make a KMG clone but decided it would be crappy to copy another commercially made design to sell, so I made my own. I ordered a new CNC Haas mill to make them on and I should have it set up in about a month and can go into production.

I cant really offer to make them in any quantity until the mill comes in but I do have hundreds of wheels turned for home builders of grinders.
Hi, I was wondering what your prices are on the contact wheels? Please pm. Thanks
Old 09-06-2018, 07:24 PM

Check out the Motors and VFDs on www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com.
Let me know if I can help you.

www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com

waynecoe@highland.net

706-273-8017
Old 01-16-2020, 03:46 AM
Registered

looks like great!

Tags
a, assemble, back, blacksmith, build, ca, clean, cnc, design, forging, home, kmg, made, make, material, mill, motor, sell, water, wheels