MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Balisong Discussions

Balisong Discussions Customs to productions, discussions about balisongs/butterfly knives, what's the best and how to do those crazy tricks.

Old 08-11-2005, 06:11 PM
Registered

Newbie trying to ID Filipino Balisong

A friend went to the Philippines over the summer and returned with some balisongs and gave me one to play around with. As far as I know they're the regular off-the-side-of-the-road street vendor type. I've only been reading online about balis for the few days since I got mine. This one is at the moment way too stiff to do any tricks with although I'd like to learn some.

So can anyone tell me what type of materials this thing is made of and what it's worth in US dollars? It doesn't look to be the finest construction but it doesn't feel too cheap either.

Overview of the knife.

Handle material.

Close-up of handle material.

Base and latch (notice latch has little red inserts of unknown material and crude etchings).

Inner channel of handle.

Joints and such.

Blade pattern. The blade is only sharpened on the upper inch of the edge. Also, if I pour water on the blade it quickly forms only a few puddles and if I tilt the blade it slides off instantly so the blade is completely dry to the touch. Whatever metal it is really waterproof, or slippery, or something :P.

Rough sizing example.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:30 PM
Skilled

Cool ...I love the classic FHM knives..., and it will loosen up over time so you can flip it nicely.

The frames are made by folding brass to form a U-Channel.., and the blade is high carbon...(most likely 1095).., and will take a screaming edge if you work on it some with benchstones.

Your blade shape is pretty classic actually, and a true slashing or utility profile. The slipperiness you mention is very likely because the maker coated the blade heavily with oil to avoid rusting. 1095 does rust quite easily without proper care, but it's an excellent steel. Most of the Batangas makers get their steel from the leaf springs of old cars and trucks.

The latch of course, is also brass, and those little ornamental inserts in the handles are quite common. They sometimes are the mark of the maker, but not in most cases.

The inserts themselves are usually cow shin-bone.., sometimes from horses, or "other".., but sometimes antler material from deer raised in the Mindoro Mountains....(pretty stuff)!

I'd say the value is roughly $45-$60 on that piece you got, and it does look like the typical roadside variety. Fun knives!

Enjoy it!

"There is no greater wisdom.., than [KINDNESS]"

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Last edited by ExamonLyf; 08-11-2005 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:34 PM
Registered

Thanks a lot! Didn't expect such a thorough response that quick. I'm trying to loosen it by playing around with it while watching TV or walking around. Thanks for tipping me off about caring for the blade. I have a feeling this thing is gonna open up a money-draining but addicting new hobby.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:41 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowrsx
Thanks a lot! Didn't expect such a thorough response that quick. I'm trying to loosen it by playing around with it while watching TV or walking around. Thanks for tipping me off about caring for the blade. I have a feeling this thing is gonna open up a money-draining but addicting new hobby.
Sure no problem....

Also.., if you want to loosen it up for "fun" quickly.., you can take a flat head screw driver (choose one with a head piece as close to the channel depth as possible)..., and insert it right behind the tang. Use a T-Shirt material to keep the head of the driver out of contact with the brass to avoid scatching, and simple "rock" it gently back and forth just below the pivots inside the channel.

This will place pressure on the inside wall of the channel immediately behind the pivot area, and will stretch the pins just enough so it flips smoothly. You can do this is just a few minutes ~~> but go slowly, and don't use a lot of force! You only want a tiny bit of stretch to accomplish the goal, so every few rocking motions, check to see if one of the handles has freed up, then work the other side. It's really very simple to do, but send me email if the process isn't clear.

You will usually find that the side the spine slides into is tightest (since it's thicker), but the edge catching handle will loosen very quickly.

Good luck ... They are really fun knives!

"There is no greater wisdom.., than [KINDNESS]"

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Last edited by ExamonLyf; 08-12-2005 at 09:44 AM.

Tags
balisong, blade, butterfly knife, knife, knives