MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:44 PM
Master

Master or Journeyman set for rivet dies?

I have a few Kydex sheaths for some upcoming pieces so I'm getting set up to do these. Is there a significant result quality between the Master and Journeyman Series offered by Knife Kits?

Old 08-10-2018, 03:32 PM
Administrator

You can get a perfect result with the Journeyman setup. The difference is in the depth of the throat clearance of the Master press...and in the ability to control the flaring pressure better. With the JS set, you're using a hammer to lightly apply force for the roll. It works like a charm, but I recommend the MS setup if you're considering doing it a lot over time.

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 08-11-2018, 09:44 PM
Master

Thanks Alex! Was planning on mounting them into an arbor press if adaptable. I have a few types of knives that are Kydex type sheath candidates, those are very limited/low sub 8 production numbers.

Old 08-13-2018, 02:58 PM
Administrator

They'll work in most 3-5 ton arbors. Drill a 5/8 hole and add a set screw to hold the top die. That's all you need. They will last a lifetime.

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 08-13-2018, 09:47 PM
Master

Cool! Thanks Alex!

Old 08-14-2018, 03:53 PM
Master

Thanks for the PM Alex. The PM didn't allow a reply so wanted to post message received and

Old 08-18-2018, 12:09 AM
Administrator

No reply allowed? I'll check into that. You should be able to reply to any PM around here. Hmmmm...

Let me know if you need any help.

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 09-18-2018, 12:11 AM
Master

A pic of the first one. Was intended as an experiment to test the oven but it went well so this one worked out. The back part of the toaster oven is hotter so there was 1/2" of the Kydex was a bit shiny. Other than that the forming was smooth.

Some flaring of the opening to allow easier insertion and shaping where the blade locks in for the retention firmness.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mf-knife-kydex-September 17, 2018-3969.jpg (72.5 KB, 9 views)

Old 09-25-2018, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Looks great, Mike!

One of the biggest parts of the KYDEX® learning curve is figuring out how long to leave your material in the oven to get it just right for forming. We recommend a using an inexpensive laser thermometer for sampling the surface temp. But you can also place some of your material over the edge of the rack and watch for it to start drooping over the side once it starts getting up to forming temperature. The recommended temperature range is 300-325 degrees F. But you may like to work with it slightly warmer or cooler. It's really a personal thing.

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 09-26-2018, 02:32 PM
Master

Was very thankful for the many You Tube videos out there. Yes, I left part of the kydex on an edge of the rack so when it began to droop checked the temp and it was about 316F. Took note of the visual color from where it was shiny-overcooked. Went by that for the succeeding ones.

A 2 minute toast time with the door partially cracked at the last 30 seconds nails 315F consistently in this oven. Haven't used the thermometer since then. The thermo type plastic is pretty fun to work with for the flexibility to adjust-mold following. Still learning, I have to make some knives to get more practice with.

Thanks Alex!

Last edited by M&J; 01-12-2019 at 03:22 PM. Reason: img added

Tags
a, apply, arbor, back, blade, ca, dies, drill, hammer, help., hot, kits, knife, knife kits, knives, kydex, post, press, retention, screw, set screw, sheath, sheaths