MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 01-27-2001, 10:29 AM
Mondt

Cru-Wear Finish

I just finished up a couple of blades of Cru-wear. I have been told that this is really tough steel and makes a great knife. I did a hand rubbed finish on a tactical piece that is posted here. I also intended to do a mirror polish on another one. I got it polished, it looks good, but a little different. Also it was really no fun AT ALL to polish. Is this typical of Cru-Wear?
Old 01-29-2001, 03:39 PM
Don Cowles

Doug, I have never worked with it, so I can't speak from my own experience. I do know that I have not heard any favorable comments from anyone on obtaining mirror finishes on super-alloys. I suspect the hard carbides in a soft matrix will always have a few bumps in the microfinish.
Old 01-29-2001, 06:58 PM
Mondt

Thanks Don,
You described the finish exactly. I really like the stuff as far as performance and sharpening. I think I will stick to the hand rubbed finishes like I do on 420V and 10V in the future.
Old 01-30-2001, 07:51 PM
Don Cowles

Good article in the newest Blade on super blade steels & alloys. Kinda confirms what we've been saying, too.

I have been grinding on Talonite tonight, and did about the thinnest tang tapering it is possible to do. Got the butt end about as thick as a razor blade. Not sure I could ever do it again, but it tickles me.
Old 01-30-2001, 10:52 PM
Geno

I've never used Cru-wear. I've heard its tough stuff.
What do you cut it with?
Old 01-31-2001, 12:11 PM
Mondt

I have a Grizzly metal cutting band saw, the kind you can lay down or stand up. I use their bi-metal 18 tooth blades. It seems to work well.
I am working with some Rex M3-1 right now. It looks to be a real tough one too. Working hardness of 62 Rc when your all done quenching from 2100 deg and tempering 3X at 575 deg or so. I imagine it won't polish either.
Old 01-31-2001, 02:52 PM
Roger Gregory

Does the mirror finish have the same sort of 'orange-peel' effect that VG-10 has?

Roger
Old 01-31-2001, 11:46 PM
Mondt

Never worked with VG-10. Anyone else??

Tags
blade, knife