MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Skilled

Broke and/or ruined all my metal blades

Ok. Today I started cutting out my blade from 440C. Started with the hand hacksaw, switched to the jigsaw, broke both of my bimetal hacksaw blades and 3 "heavy metal" jigsaw blades.

I got 3/4 of the profile cut out. I still have the underside of the handle to cut out.

What blades do ya'll use for this? I dont have many powertools. Just a jigsaw for cutting, and hacksaws. Luckily I have files, but there is no way Im going to file 1/2" of material.

Thoughts?
Old 01-24-2009, 05:45 PM
Skilled

A lot of people just use an Angle Grinder. It will go through the Metal like butter! You can get them pretty cheap like $39.95 at HD. You will also need metal cutting blades (they are cheap)
Here is the one I have and so far I have cut out around 30 knives with it,you sure have to be careful with these, they are very dangerous.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100529101

Frank

Old 01-24-2009, 05:54 PM
Enthusiast

One thing that will help you is to be sure to get the thinner cutoff style blades as they will cut faster than the thick blade it comes with. You can use the thick one for grinding inside radii or when you dont need to take much to the line.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:45 PM
Steel Addict

dremel
Old 01-24-2009, 07:11 PM
Hall of Famer

Drill press and a cold chisel. Drill holes around the perimeter, use the cold chisel to connect the holes, then file away the excess.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Skilled

Well, HD is an hour from me. LOL. So I reckon I'll just have to suck it up and buy 2 more hacksaw blades. Looking at the geometry, I only have 2 more cuts to make, then file the heck outta the rest.

Are the Bimetal blades the ones to buy?

If this one turns out ok, then maybe I will be able to justify to the queen, that I need more tools.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:38 PM

As mentioned above I use a drill and make holes around the blank then connect the dots with a hacksaw. Only takes a few minutes that way. Then use a angle grinder or files to get rid of the excess. good luck.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:41 PM
Skilled

I thought I'd go the super economy route back in 1981 and use a hand hacksaw. I got part of a hunter, a SMALL hunter, cut out when I realized I had to spend the money on a band saw. Look at the horizontal/vertical combo band saws that use a 64.5" blade, and use bi-metal blades. It's money well spent.

David

Old 01-24-2009, 11:19 PM

I too drill holes all the way around the profile as close together as I can,then I cut between the holes (about 1/16th of a inch) with a jig saw and metal cuting blades.Then finish off with files and or disk sander.That's the easiest and fastest way I've found with my limited amount of metal working tools.I havent used a chisel,but now I'll try it.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:21 AM
Skilled

Buy a grinder and some cut off wheels.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...104&pricetype=

Proverbs 27:17
As iron sharpens iron, one man sharpens another.

Check out my website.
www.crystalcreekknives.com
Old 01-25-2009, 10:29 AM
Guru

I have a cheap angle grinder and cutoff wheels. This will work pretty well, but you need someplace to clamp the piece down and cut it where you don't have to worry about fire. You really need ear and eye protection when running one of these, especially if you go extra cheap. The more expensive angle grinders have their gears cut at an angle and have better housings, both serve to reduce noise, the cheap ones are 90 degree gears and cheap housing and they are painful to run.

My angle grinder cost $10 and was worth every penny, but I'd spend the extra money on a bandsaw up front if you have the extra cash, even a cheap portable saw for $80 will go a very long way for you, just use bi-metal blades. Harbor freight sells portable saws as well as the H/V saws that David mentioned, if you have the room and funds, the H/V saw is well worth the money.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 01-25-2009, 11:38 AM

Before I had a drill press and only a cordless handheld, I tried drilling around my profile and it was next to impossible with the hand held drill (this was 5160, I don't know how much the alloy had to do with it.) In fact when it came time to drill the 2 pin holes, it took me about an hour to drill each one using cutting fluid and a cobalt bit. I also tried a sawzall, and it just destroyed the metal cutting blades I had. Although it still took forever, in the end a hand hacksaw and files were the way I got it done.

Once I got a drill press, drilling became a snap and I thought I had died and gone to heaven!
Old 01-25-2009, 03:22 PM
Skilled

Here you go: http://www.grizzly.com/products/4-x-...-Bandsaw/G0622 Only $341 with freight. Make a pad so you can sit down when you're sawing out your blades.

Get the bi-metal blades. They cost twice as much as the carbon steel blades, but will last many times longer.

I realize that some of you, maybe a lot of you, are trying to make knives for the fun of it and operate on a shoestring budget by drilling a bunch of holes and using a hand hacksaw. That's fine if all you ever want to do is make an occasional knife as a past time. At some point, however, you have to look at it realistically. That's going to require some level of efficiency and precision in the shop, and you won't get either with a hack saw. Save up your nickels and dimes and buy a band saw.

David

Old 01-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Skilled

Thanks for all the info guys. My FIL has a drill press down in his shop, so I'll see if I can use it on the next build. He also has a grinder down there, so I'll be able to clean this one up faster than filing.

I ended up getting some "good" hacksaw blades today and only used one, and its still in decent shape.

I would LOVE to have a bandsaw, but there is nowhere for me to put one. Our cellar is really small, and the workbench takes up most of it. My buddy has a porta-band that he hardly ever uses, and he said I can use when I need it. So maybe try that route after drilling the perimeter. Poor and ambitious are a bad combo.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Enthusiast

About the grinder/cut off wheel method: Like Frank said, be careful. If you use the grinder please wear a full face shield. The guard on many grinders is not designed for use with a cut off wheel. Take a look at a proper chop saw and you will see what I mean. I've shattered a lot of those wheels cutting out rusted tube out of stock panels and it aint pretty. I use a sawsall for that job now. I'm not normally an old hand wringing nanny, but those little things can cause some damage if they get away from you and you arent ready for it.

Last edited by horseman1; 02-02-2009 at 06:59 PM.

Tags
blade, knife, knives