MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:55 PM
Skilled

new guy intro

Hi everyone,

just wanted to introduce myself.

I am a fledgling knife maker thanks to the basic bladesmithing class I took from our own Ed Caffrey in February. He and his dogs taught me quite a bit about forging and finishing in the 4 days we spent together.

I have been planning on making knives for some time and I am very happy with the teaching I received from Ed. He really puts himself out there 100 % for his students and I must say if you have the opportunity to train with Ed you could not go wrong in that investment.

Since pounding out a few knives with Ed and finishing one, I have come home and been slowly gathering tools and materials to put a shop together.

I have sold off a bunch of my "custom" knives, since I found out a lot of them were just greatly hyped poorly designed bars of steel. It is an eye opener to take a truly well designed knife into your hand, and feel the difference between that and some of the big name flavor of the month type blades.

I would recommend to everyone to buy Ed's videos. they are well worth the investment.
While I was in Iraq I watch his video many times which definitely gave me a head start for his class. More than once I told Ed, I already know that, lets move on, which allowed me to save time and take greater advantage of his knowledge.

And no Ed did not pay me or put me up to posting this, I just want to give credit where it is due.

Here is a pic of the knife we made, and a new sheath I just finished up for it.

Sorry for the long winded post, if I had my shop set up already I would be out there instead of wasting time on the internet!!!

Old 04-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Skilled

Welcome Tom

Ed is a great teacher, I wish I had the opportunity to learn from him (and many other talented smiths) when i started. It is evident by the knife you made that you are well on your way. Very Nice package..

Chuck Richards ABS J.S.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:27 PM
Master

What? You didn't go to the 'Double Barrel'? Just kidding, and you're right, nothing like being there in person to help the old learning curve.

Take care, Craig
Old 04-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Skilled

I think I am still trying to purge all the grease from that Double Barrel!
Old 04-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Hall of Famer

Welcome Tom,
I haven't been to Ed's class but have his video.He has always been helpful. Really good look'in blade there,sheath is excellent. Very nice package.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:39 PM
Enthusiast

Welcome Tom, you are right Ed is a great person and a positive influence on todays new makers. I met Ed a couple of years ago and ever since then he has been more than willing to help me with information when i need it or to tell me when i am doing something wrong. That in and of itself says something he is not one to gloss it over if you ask his advice or critique he is willing to give it, but like a crabby old cowboy i once knew you have to ask.................I am proud to call Ed a friend.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:56 PM
Skilled

Welcome Tom!

I also took my basic bladesmithing from Ed and "Hammer" and agree whole-heartedly
that Ed gives 110% to make sure you get the very best and interrupted attention (that is
as long as you keep ol' hammer preoccupied with a plastic water bottle ).

I hope to do my basic damascus with Ed when time permits, as well.

Let me finish by saying that is one fine knife you made - very nice indeed!

Take care,
Dana
Old 06-10-2008, 10:32 PM
Skilled

Cool Very Nice for the first!

Tom,, for your first knife, I must say you learned very well! Not that it's bad, but a lot of
"newbies" post pictures here, (I know we all start somewhere) but they seem to all lack the "lines" and "curves" that make a knife beautiful. I guess it's something you get an "eye" for. An old saying goes: "The teacher has not taught, until the student learns" The skill and talent and "eye" of your teacher is very evident in your work!! Keep it up,, you will only get better!
I give credit to Jerry McClure, for coming to my shop and spending a day working with me. I offered him a "bed & breakfast" when he was passing through a couple years ago. A great learning experience!!! ---Jon

Tags
blade, forging, knife, knives