MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:58 PM
Steel Addict

Newest work finished a few minutes ago

This one is a piece of 0-1 tool steel. I hammered the basic shape out on the anvil and took it into the shop to clean up on the grinder. I did the oil quench and threw it in the oven at 400 for about an hour and 40 minutes, pulling it when it was golden with a trace of brown. I made the scales out of honduran rosewood and worked it with the sanders as hard as I could. I THINK this one came out a little better than earlier knives, I can see a much cleaner bevel line and the scales are cleaner. I DID freehand all of the grinding.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:48 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Your grind lines are definitely looking better. The edge still appears thick in the picture but that might just be the lighting.

The finish work on the scales is improved but your pins need cleaning up.

As always, the real test is whether or not it works as intended. Use it, abuse it, and let's see what we see ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 04-08-2015, 04:31 PM
Skilled

I'll agree with Ray, it's getting better. You know what would really change the way that knife looks. Start at just before the halfway mark on the blade (from the tip) and remover the curve making it a drop point. Do that and it will make the knife pop.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:02 PM
Skilled

I really like the wood you chose. Beautiful.
Keep on grinding, it only gets better ... so I'm told by Ray
Old 04-08-2015, 08:11 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccustomknives View Post
I'll agree with Ray, it's getting better. You know what would really change the way that knife looks. Start at just before the halfway mark on the blade (from the tip) and remover the curve making it a drop point. Do that and it will make the knife pop.
I LIKE that idea, but I kinda don't wanna do it to this one because I've always had a soft spot for this blade shape and never really had any knives with this shape. However that DOES simplify the process for my next one! I think I will try that next time.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:18 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
Your grind lines are definitely looking better. The edge still appears thick in the picture but that might just be the lighting.

The finish work on the scales is improved but your pins need cleaning up.

As always, the real test is whether or not it works as intended. Use it, abuse it, and let's see what we see ...
I don't THINK it's too thick right there, but I'm willing to accept it if I'm wrong. The blade is a bit less than 3/8 thick, and from the bevel it was brought straight down to about half the thickness of a dime before the final edge was put on. I took it to the Work Sharp to get it sharpened and went through all of the belts so the edge has a mirror finish in contrast to the 80 grit tool marks on the rest of the blade.

I DID try to get the pins as clean as possible and I've gotten them WAY cleaner on other knives, the Honduran Rosewood just DID NOT want to sand without scorching and manual sanding alone didn't help enough. I use a drum sander with a weird foam roller at 220 grit to get the pins clean enough to finish with super fine sandpaper, but the Rosewood didn't cooperate. Learning experience, wood THIS dense and full of resin requires some serious patience.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:43 AM

I think you probably meant 3/16" thick. The edge sounds thin enough the way you describe it. The problem with burning the wood with belts is the reason why variable speed grinders are popular....

Old 04-09-2015, 09:01 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
I think you probably meant 3/16" thick. The edge sounds thin enough the way you describe it. The problem with burning the wood with belts is the reason why variable speed grinders are popular....
You could be right about the thickness. I know it's every bit as thick as leaf spring. Never bothered measuring.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:17 AM

Well, if it really is as thick as a leaf spring then you were probably correct in the first place. That would be awfully thick for a blade of that size and configuration though. A fair chopper, I suppose, but not very good cutting geometry. Doesn't really look that thick in the pictures but with nothing to compare it to you can't really tell ....

Old 04-09-2015, 12:09 PM
Hall of Famer

The Rosewood group of woods make great handles and they all share the characteristic of being dense and oily which means they work fine without being stabilized. As a matter of fact, they really can't be stabilized. Send it to one of the commercial stabilizers and they'll send it right back to you.

I've pretty much given up on using a sander for shaping and finishing handles. I have a Japanese wood rasp for hogging the handle to shape and then it's on to files and hand sanding. Sanders, unless you can really crank them back, are going to burn wood. Especially the end grain.

Doug

Tags
anvil, art, bevel, blade, chopper, cleaning, edge, files, grind, grinder, grinding, knife, knives, made, make, making, newest, pins, problem, rosewood, scales, shop, steel, wood, woods