MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:29 PM

Where to Purchase Leather

Sheath Makers,
I'm fairly tired of the Tandy leather. It seems as if even their top grade shoulders have flaws. I'm not looking to buy huge bulk packages. Where can I buy the good stuff? I know it's fairly costly, but that's ok, as long as its high quality. Or....do you suppose I'm just not doing a great job at selection when laying out my pattern on the material? You can see my work and read my info on my Etsy page @ http://www.etsy.com/shop/TidalToolsa..._shop_redirect.

I plan to bump up my membership to be able to offer my services once I get all my kinks worked out. I don't really make profit from selling my items but want to work up to that so when I retire from the service maybe I'll be able to have a little shop. Any and all info and advice is welcomed.

I'm still working my way through Mr. Long and Mr. Burrows' DVDs....there's just not enough time in the day, especially with a 6 mo old.
Thanks in advance.......I've been reading pretty much all of these posts and look forward to contributing and participating more in the future.
Neal Green
Old 08-02-2012, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

It depends but IMO the top three leather sources (in no particular order) are:

I now use almost exclusively the leather from RJF Leather http://rjfleather.com/content/index.php/products/
This is old time pit tanned leather from Portugal and is the best I've seen in while - Roger sells shoulders, backs, and sides in natural/russet for those like myself who choose to dye or plain oil their goods (I mostly use the shoulders), but he also sells vat dyed leathers in colors and various cuts for those who prefer it.

I still at times use Wickett & Craig leather - mainly the russet saddle skirting sides and W & C is still the top choice of lots of good craftsman including Paul Long, albeit Paul uses the vat dyed sides (IIRC the saddle skirting as well.) They also sell a tooling/carving leather but it's a but drier tannage (i.e. less oil). W & C is sold straight from the tannery without minimums. W & C will also split thicker sides to thinner weights at no extra charge which can give one a real clean back. They also sell backs and harness leathers.

Herman Oak is the third brand and is available from the tannery but with a minimum of IIRC 10 sides. They also sell via retailers such as Springfield leather, Goliger Leather, Montana Leather, etc. If you make contact with the tannery they can give you a list of retailers. Herman Oak is generally has a bit firmer hand than W & C, but then again W & C will plate your order for a firmer hand at no extra charge.

FWIW - backs will usually be the cleanest most premium cut of leather with less range marks and no spongy/flanky sections which generally means less scrap since there is no residual belly leather at all which both sides and shoulders have. You will pay more per square foot though. IIRC Sandy Morrisey, at age 87, the granddaddy of the current sheath (and other items) smiths prefers backs and is currently using RJF leathers.

I won't say that Tandy is no good but IMO unless you have a store close to hand where you can personally select the goods (and have the experience to do that) then purchasing via mail order has unfortunately too often for me been a crap shoot.

There are also many other sources that others may recommend, but I have no expereince with them and all of the pros I know personally use one of the three I listed.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.

Last edited by Chuck Burrows; 08-02-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:48 AM

Thanks and sorry

Mr. Burrows and all,
I appologize for asking this information again. As soon as I hit submit, I saw that one of the few threads I haven't read was the one posted about all the different types of leather which answered my questions. I tried for about an hour to stop the post before it was actually posted, but no luck in figuring it out. Sorry if I wasted anyone's time.

However, thanks for the reply and information. I do live close to a TLF (Columbia, SC) and they're great people. But I always see much tighter, cleaner leather, tighter flesh sides on everybody else's photos.

I will definitely check all that you've mentioned. Can I buy one or two double shoulders or backs at a time or do I have to buy in bulk?

Thanks again,
Neal
Old 08-04-2012, 06:40 PM

Hello Mr. Chuck burrows.

I am from Portugal and being a yung craftment I strogel allot to find a good supplier of leather here, so you an imagine what I may felt when I reed you message talking about Portuguese leather. I know that portugal as a great tradition in leather but I cannot get in tuch with any of them

Do you have any information about the Portuguese leather company that supplies the leather that you refer?

Best regards

Jg
Old 08-04-2012, 11:14 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
I am very pleased with the leather from RJF as it stamps and carves beautifully. I used W&C for years but recently I have received backs or sides that were too difficult to incise smoothly with a swivel knife. It acted as though it were not fully tanned with multiple areas I believed to be partially raw hide. I fully realize that this might have been a seldom occuring tannage and will firmly recommend them as a superior supplier.

Chuck, my friend, thanks for taking two years off my age. I am currently on my 90th year and am having a ball-----Sandy

Old 08-05-2012, 09:49 AM

After Chuck and Sandy turned me onto RJF, that's all I've been using. Everything from Roger has been great as is his service. He will split to what the customer requests and will sell single items at no extra charge. My last experience with W&C was the same as Sandy's and I will agree that it may have been a limited problem.

Hey Dad, hated to miss you this weekend, but had to cut leather.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgrilo View Post
Hello Mr. Chuck burrows.

I am from Portugal and being a yung craftment I strogel allot to find a good supplier of leather here, so you an imagine what I may felt when I reed you message talking about Portuguese leather. I know that portugal as a great tradition in leather but I cannot get in tuch with any of them

Do you have any information about the Portuguese leather company that supplies the leather that you refer?

Best regards

Jg
Howdy JG - Sorry I don't have any more info, but I would bet if you contact Roger at RJF Leather via email he would be glad to help you out with the suppliers name.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.

Tags
advice, bee, brand, carving, choose, craftsman, hand, knife, leather, make, material, pattern, sand, sheath, store, supplies