MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Historical Inspiration

Historical Inspiration This forum is dedicated to the discussion of historical knife design and its influence on modern custom knife work.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:49 PM
Registered

First timer

I am a first here and I would like any help you guys can give me. I am looking to make a lapel dagger. But I have no idea were to start.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:40 PM
Steel Addict

tell us a little about yourself. have you made knives before? what tools do you have evaluable? a dagger is one of the harder grinds with a double bevel that needs to be perfect to look good. add on top of the a smaller size and it will be a challenge to make.

Erik
Old 12-07-2014, 08:56 PM
Registered

I have never made a knife before. I have made many things out of wood an steel over the years. I know nothing about what tools are required to make a knife. I am looking to do a double bevel on just one side. I am not sure want else you mite want to know
Old 01-13-2015, 09:48 AM
Guru

Jerrym,

Eric is right in that making a dagger of any type for your first project is a difficult one. You may be better off to start with something a little easier and work your way up to daggers.

As a start I would recommend doing some reading. There are many books available for beginning knife makers. One of the more popular is: "How to Make a Knife" by Barney & Loveless. It is available many places and a good one to begin with. It sells for a little over $20 and is money well spent. There are also many threads on the various knife forums that will help. Do some research and it will help you get an idea of what is needed to get started.

I'm not trying to avoid answering your question but it is one that isn't easily answered without writing a very lengthy reply.

Good luck & all my best,

Gary

Tags
art, beginning, bevel, dagger, daggers, first time, help., how to, how to make a knife, knife, knives, made, make, makers, making, project, steel, tools, wood