MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Historical Inspiration

Historical Inspiration This forum is dedicated to the discussion of historical knife design and its influence on modern custom knife work.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:45 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
A question on damascus jewlery

I hope it is OK to post this question in this forum, I know Mr. Loose works with jewelry so I hope Im not out of line by posting here.

I have a friend that has plugs in his ear lobes, My question is would carbon steel damascus plugs be feasable? Would the raw steel cause reactions of some type? Could they be sealed in some way? Also I m thinking a round disk with a notch around the outside, is this the normal design?

I am totaly unfamiliar with this type of ear jewlery but would love to make somthing for this man as he has does so much with my Son in Martial Arts.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If this post is unappropriate here please delete it.

Thank You

God Bless
Mike

Old 01-03-2008, 05:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
Well, since ear plugs like that go back to ancient Indo-Europeans... we can talk about it here! Yes, the design is usually a round disc with a groove in it. I would imagine steel plugs to be a bit heavy.

I'd say that plain carbon in constant contact with skin is not a good idea, which is why I lined my carbon damascus rings with Sterling or gold. About 25% of my customers had tarnishing on the rings which in a couple cases, also tarnished the neighboring fingers. I wasn't able to figure out whether it was environmental, biological or what, but I do suspect it had something to do with changing alloy contents, as the rings didn't do it at all when I started making them four or five years ago.

In any case I use all stainless damascus now.

jloose.com

Old 01-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the reply J. I had not thought of the weight factor. What is the "usual" material if there is such a thing?

Thanks

God Bless
Mike

Old 01-04-2008, 07:35 AM
Steel Addict

Most of the ones I've seen were made of wood.If you wanted to make fancy ones,get yourself some dyed,stabilized wood. Moon
Old 01-04-2008, 09:14 AM
Master

"changing alloy contents" Yes that could be the reason if there have been new reactions. Remember that various metals can cause various reactions .Even stainless steel can cause things like allergic reactions apparently from the nickel. While gold is not likely to be a problem gold alloys [ 24 ,18,14 carat] contains things like Zn or Cu that may react. Individual biochemistry can be very reactive to metals as I've known a few who will instantly rust steel when they touch it ! Women can have problems once a month also. You might ask a customer first otherwise if it bothers him he'll have to give it up !
Old 01-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Hall of Famer

Thanks Guys!

Old 01-21-2008, 06:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
Quote:
Originally Posted by mete
"changing alloy contents" Yes that could be the reason if there have been new reactions. Remember that various metals can cause various reactions .Even stainless steel can cause things like allergic reactions apparently from the nickel. While gold is not likely to be a problem gold alloys [ 24 ,18,14 carat] contains things like Zn or Cu that may react. Individual biochemistry can be very reactive to metals as I've known a few who will instantly rust steel when they touch it ! Women can have problems once a month also. You might ask a customer first otherwise if it bothers him he'll have to give it up !

Thanks, Mete... yeah, I wish I had been getting all the alloy spec. sheets along the process, as it would probably have answered the question. Perhaps recycled material was getting into the alloy? The austenitic stainless I'm using now should be fine.

Hmmm... I've never heard of monthly alloy sensitivities... as if the usual difficulties weren't enough!

jloose.com

Old 01-21-2008, 09:24 PM
Skilled

Some of the discs i have seen are hollow kind of an inverse ring. This reduces the weight. Also you might think of Mokume of gold and silver or the like. How about Timascus?? That would be pretty cool looking. Weight would not be much of an issue and the Titanium is non reactive with human tissue.

Chuck

Chuck Richards ABS J.S.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Hall of Famer

Great Idea! I had not thought of Ti Thanks!

God Bless
Mike