MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Historical Inspiration

Historical Inspiration This forum is dedicated to the discussion of historical knife design and its influence on modern custom knife work.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Skilled

Send a message via ICQ to sjaqua
Ballock, work in progress

With a little luck I'll have my second take on a Ballock Knife ready in time for the Blade show. I'm still not super pleased with the fit and finish around the tang. I was getting so much better at fit an finish, I thought I would give the whole curved guard stop idea anther try. It is much better then last go around. But I still have small gaps and an epoxy line I don't like. It is a challenging form, and one I will be trying yet again at some point.

40 layer 1095/nickel ladder pattern hollow ground dirk blade. Lace wood handle (it was sawn on a 90 degree upset to the grain) with brass fittings and red spacer material. As usual I just turned the handle portion of the wood, set the curve where it meets the blade and then handed it off to my wife to carve the important bits.

Still needs the fittings and spacers buzzed down to meet the wood and then the whole thing needs some hand sanding prior to polishing and adding a Danish oil finish to the wood.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The most important right of all, is that of Free Speech. With out that, all your other rights will soon be taken away. So, I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend until death, your right to say it!
Old 06-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Master

Looks great!

I know what you mean about curved guards on ballock/dirky things, I tried one once. Once.

There was much smacking and burning-in involved getting it to fit properly, but you'e right, it does make for a look like no other. Now that I have almost forgotten how hard it was to get it to fit right I may do another one!

Edited to add: Hey! When did you move to Tennessee? Welcome, neighbor! Now you have to come to Bowie's this fall.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:32 AM
Skilled

It will be seven weeks ago this Thursday that we arrived in Tennessee. I just got my shop set-up again two weeks ago. So I have very little to offer at the Blade show. I wouldn't have this one if it wasn't already in progress when I packed up the shop in California.

So what is this "Bowie's" you are talking about???

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The most important right of all, is that of Free Speech. With out that, all your other rights will soon be taken away. So, I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend until death, your right to say it!
Old 06-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Master

"Bowie's" is a fall hammerin in Knoxville at the home of Ron Claiborne, AKA Bowie. It's a must-attend if you're at all able. You'll know many folks there by the time it rolls around, since most of 'em are involved in the guild and demo program at SMKW. Oh, yeah, I did look at your website and blog after I asked when you moved here, that's how I found out you were doing the Knifeworks thing.

Townsend is a beautiful place, but I hope you get the backroads figured out before the height of tourist season hits! 321 becomes impassable in a week or two.

If you're wondering, I'm originally from just north of Knoxville, and you are in my territory for my day job, in which I supervise the archaeology of 24 counties in eastern TN for the TN Department of Transportation. Check out the new museum there in Townsend to find out what that can mean... The museum is good, I'll have to tell you some background on what led up to it privately, though.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:37 PM
Skilled

No longer work in progress

Finished it last night. Just in time for the Blade Show

Old 06-08-2007, 08:00 AM
Master

That came out NICE. Have fun at Blade!
Old 06-09-2007, 05:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
Nice work!

jloose.com

Tags
blade, knife