MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Historical Inspiration

Historical Inspiration This forum is dedicated to the discussion of historical knife design and its influence on modern custom knife work.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:52 PM
Enthusiast

Historic Canadian Knife Designs

Hey Guys,

As I've been thinking about my next knife, I started to consider a knife design with historical significance. That said I'm having a hard time finding knives specific to Canada. So far I've come up with the Canadian Belt/Jump knife and Ulu (sort of) but not much else. Maybe this is the only knife with a link to Canada, but I'm hoping that's not the case. I'm relatively new to this side of knives (historic), so I was hoping someone on here might already know of a few other designs, or even where I might be able to look.

Any help/advice is appreciated.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:12 AM
Hall of Famer

How about the Hudson Bay trade knife. For an example, Amazon lists a Hudson Bay Camp knife. As I understand it some of the period knives ended up with two washers on each side of the scales with pins in the middle giving the nick name of knives with eyes. Remember that back in the day only the blades were imported and the handles were applied later I wouldn't be surprised if some of the native Americans bound the scales on with wet rawhide.

Doug

Old 05-18-2017, 05:01 PM
Enthusiast

exactly the type of information I was hoping to get here. I did actually read a bit about the Hudson Bay camp knife, I forgot to mention that on in my first post. I actually would really enjoy trying my hand at that one, but I'm still working on stock removal and using mostly hand tools, so a blade that size, while absolutely possible, is just a little on the large size for me right now. That said, I still want to learn about all these knives regardless of whether I can produce them now or not, so keep 'em coming.

Tags
advice, back, bee, belt, blade, blades, camp knife, case, design, first post, hand, handles, knife, knives, pins, post, scales, stock removal, tools, trade, ulu, washers