MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Historical Inspiration

Historical Inspiration This forum is dedicated to the discussion of historical knife design and its influence on modern custom knife work.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:04 PM

Thinking About Adding A Bill Hook

Old home/farm tool with more than a couple variations. Well known in the UK but not common here in the USA. I bought one and have found it useful.

Here is a variation that I like

or some others

Since it is a chopper, thinking of 6150 steel and a handle that would allow the use of either blade.

Thinking of this one.

Any comments??
Old 12-28-2011, 11:02 PM
Administrator

I think it's wild!

That holster looks stout!

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 12-29-2011, 05:42 AM
Steel Addict

It also looks as though it could be modified for various uses with the addition of a full tang style handle for added strength.

I have seen similar designs, we call the sickle design, but never saw one with a straight edge on the back that looks to be a wicked combination.

I like it!!

Thanks for sharing.

Jeff
Old 12-29-2011, 11:01 AM
Hall of Famer

I found one at my local hardware store and it's real handy. I just wish that it had an edge on the back side so that it could be used in tight areas where the point of the bill might dig into something. It could also use a little more mass than it has. I like the designs that have a straight edge on the opposite side from the concave edge. Sort of like a combination of a bill and a light hand ax.

Doug

Old 12-29-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xspook2158 View Post
It also looks as though it could be modified for various uses with the addition of a full tang style handle for added strength.

I have seen similar designs, we call the sickle design, but never saw one with a straight edge on the back that looks to be a wicked combination.

I like it!!

Thanks for sharing.

Jeff
It has full tang construction, however I was thinking about adding a ring to the end of the tang for paracord or simply putting a brass grommet in the handle. Probably will make it a wider tang and pin it with brass rivets.

Here are a couple of my designs.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:23 AM
Steel Addict

Both of the knifes look good, the latter reminds me or a Straight Razor, except for the curved edge.
Not sure of my reaction if my Barber came at me with that to give me a shave. ROFL.

When I mentioned full tang I was looking at the old catalog pictures you sent, looked as though they were from a old J.C. Penny's or Sears/Roebuck or Woolworth catalog.

Those drawings only showed a brass or steel collar but no tang to support heavy use. That was the reason for my comment.

Ok, now about adding a Tang ring. Is that what you would like if you were searching to buy a knife?

I am not a well known knife maker, but a Can Tie a Good Fly. I listen to others for their opinions, but the bottom line is, does that particular knife or fly meet up to what the builder expects.

Build to suit yourself, use others opinions as a measuring tool. If you think a Tang ring is needed make it, if not leave it alone.

If you build to suit the needs of the task and you are proud of the work then others will like it also. Just My Opinion.

Jeff
Old 12-30-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xspook2158 View Post
Both of the knifes look good, the latter reminds me or a Straight Razor, except for the curved edge.
Not sure of my reaction if my Barber came at me with that to give me a shave. ROFL.

When I mentioned full tang I was looking at the old catalog pictures you sent, looked as though they were from a old J.C. Penny's or Sears/Roebuck or Woolworth catalog.

Those drawings only showed a brass or steel collar but no tang to support heavy use. That was the reason for my comment.

Ok, now about adding a Tang ring. Is that what you would like if you were searching to buy a knife?

I am not a well known knife maker, but a Can Tie a Good Fly. I listen to others for their opinions, but the bottom line is, does that particular knife or fly meet up to what the builder expects.

Build to suit yourself, use others opinions as a measuring tool. If you think a Tang ring is needed make it, if not leave it alone.

If you build to suit the needs of the task and you are proud of the work then others will like it also. Just My Opinion.

Jeff
I always like to have the option of para cord, so maybe not a ring but a grommet in the handle.

I am thinking 6mm thick tapering to a convex grind on both edges made from 6150 steel. I like wood so will go with a burl wood handle.

Tags
blade, brass, full tang, holster, knife, tang