MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Historical Inspiration

Historical Inspiration This forum is dedicated to the discussion of historical knife design and its influence on modern custom knife work.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Skilled

Send a message via ICQ to sjaqua
Yet Another Seax

Two counter twisted bars of twelve layers of 1080/15N20 in the spine and body of the blade, and then a 30 layer 1095/15N50 bar along the edge portion. The knife was finished off with a dyed bone handle with brass bolster, butt plate and pommel nut.

This was made from a portion of the bar intended for another reproduction Canterbury Viking Folding Knife. The pattern for this knife and the folder came from the center of the bar. The portions of the bar near the ends (where the pattern started to open up,) were used on a Sgain-Dubh and a Viking woman's knife.

Here is an image showing how the pattern opened up on the Viking Woman's Knife.

You can see down near the ricasso how the twisted layers ended up almost straight at the very end of the bar.

This is my second attempt at this Viking style composite pattern.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The most important right of all, is that of Free Speech. With out that, all your other rights will soon be taken away. So, I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend until death, your right to say it!

Last edited by sjaqua; 12-15-2007 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:21 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to MPMetal
looks real good!
viking style composite patterns can be such a pain in the back side. I have done a lot of them over the last year or so and the one big thing I learned is for the twisted bars, twist them tighter than you think they need to be .... then go 3 or 4 more turns.( this applys more to the chevron patterns rather than the reverse twisting patterns) I had 4 or 5 billets that looked great untill i forged them out into the final blade and the pattern streched so much that it no longer looked right. but judgeing by the look you got on these you allready figured that out!
MP

Old 12-20-2007, 08:02 AM
Skilled

Send a message via ICQ to sjaqua
Yup! twist, twist, twist and twist some more. Oh and count the twists while you are at it. It's a pain but sooooo worth it

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The most important right of all, is that of Free Speech. With out that, all your other rights will soon be taken away. So, I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend until death, your right to say it!
Old 12-20-2007, 11:31 AM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
That pattern development is looking promising!

As a side note- I used to do ricassos like that, but decided that they're both un-period and unneccessary... try one without any ricasso at all... you'll find it's even easier!

jloose.com

Old 12-23-2007, 11:20 PM
Skilled

That seax is stunning. What else can be said.

Tags
blade, folding knife, knife