MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:50 PM

Question Molle Lok mounting

Trying to make my first Kydex sheath that I can mount between the pouches on my FLC(fighting load carrier). Here is a picture of similar gear to mine; I want the sheath to ride between and behind the mag and universal pouches. My issue gear is older than most so it has more flex than the modern ones. ( http://www.armygear.net/armygear/ima...s/01031_lg.jpg )

I stumbled upon the MOLLE Lok system and it looks to be just the solution that I am looking for to fix the sheath to the MOLLE webbing. My issue comes around attaching the MOLLE lok to the kydex sheath. My current thought is to mount the MOLLE Lok on a mounting plate that is then attached to the sheath ( similar to this http://www.redhillsheaths.com/sitebu...inMid-Tech.JPG ), but I fear that this might push the sheath to far out between the pouches. Also I am only using one MOLLE lok due to the how thin the sheaths will be.

What other non-permanent methods are available for attaching the MOLLE Lok to the sheath? I haven't ordered any materials so I can't do any measurements but I am planning on 0.80 thickness Kydex with an ACU pattern front and black back to make it reversible to a degree.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Hi Grog,

Welcome to the forum!

I would use a TLMAB mount and create a slight depression on the inner side of the holster to clear the head of the mounting post. There are other mounts that you can use (Chicago Screws, Slotted Posts, etc.), but the TLMAB has the thinnest post head thickness, assuming extreme precision is what you're after from the recess perspective.

Check the parts/hardware section here for more ideas...
http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/index.php?cPath=41

Let us know if you need more help/info.

Alex

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 01-04-2014, 12:11 PM

Are the TLMAB posts the ones provided with the Gen 3 Small Molle Lok found here?

http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/produc...oducts_id=4357
Old 01-05-2014, 07:38 AM
Enthusiast

yes you could block out to mount the MOLLE lok direct to the sheath or a plate to do the same thing

are you doing a pancake with eylets both sides or a wrap with only single side eyelets for a very thin footprint

an extra plate shouldn't push the knife out to much and may help with clearance for the handle which is thicker than the blade any way
Old 01-05-2014, 10:52 AM

I am doing a pancake so that I can have an ACU front with a black back to have it reversible depending on the uniform requirements of the particular mission.

By block out you just mean molding the Kydex so that the area inside the sheath that screws sit in is further away from the knife blade?

I am thinking that the best bet is to go with a mounting plate for reversibility and then if that proves to thick to switch to a single mounting point on the sheath.

Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 01-06-2014, 05:24 AM
Enthusiast

Yes a popsicle stick taped to the side of the blade would do it if its wide enough for the Post heads

HOWEVER you would need to do something for access or bolt up permanently before riveting together

a brkt would be the best solution and it really wont add that much thickness maybe 1/8"

that said 1 MOLLE on each side wouldn't make the sheath any wider but would need to mount on 2 columns

maybe this is probably 3 wide any way with the centre one not used (unless its a very thin blade )

a single centre MOLLE would mount in the centre column but probably overlap the one each side so not really gaining much (obviously without seeing the exact knife could easily be wrong)

ATB

Duncan
Old 01-06-2014, 06:54 PM

What is a brkt?

By the way this is my first sheath I have ever made out of leather or kydex so I am also using it as a means to explore the hobby and see if I enjoy it.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:31 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogTheDog View Post
What is a brkt?

By the way this is my first sheath I have ever made out of leather or kydex so I am also using it as a means to explore the hobby and see if I enjoy it.
Brkt is short for Bracket

im in the shop today will try and make oen up on one of my Knives
Old 01-07-2014, 08:14 AM
Enthusiast

Ok a quick brkt/ plate (bit of scrap 80 thou black with a channel formed to allow the head of a Post to fit flush) to put a single MOLLE in the centre of one of my knife sheaths and 2 jsut bolted to the sides of the same size sheath these match ESSE /RAT at 2" on center between the width of the holes and 1.5" on center down the side

the double MOLLE (GEN 4) isnt quite wide enough spaced to fit nicely over 3 column spaces but will just if you force it (and far to wide for 2 columns )

the BRKT does make it stand off a bit more

I think Forming a channel in the Sheath wouldnt make much difference to the thickness but will need holes to put in and access the posts

I do it here for Magazines but there is room to drop the posts in

from this i would use the bracket and single MOLLE and you can probably not bother with forming a channel and just use the rubbers to space off
ATB

Duncan
Old 01-07-2014, 06:40 PM

I completely understand now! Thank you so much for taking the time and going out of your way to help a newbie out!

I will post a picture of the finished product however hideous it may be.

Tags
abs, back, blade, boltaron, concealex, fighting, hardware, holster, holstex, knife, knifekits.com, kydex, kydex camo, kydex sheath, make, materials, molle, molle lok, mount, pattern, plastic, post, sheath, sheath making, thickness